1999 Suburban 4x4, 4L60E, no shifting after sitting/jump start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX_GMT425

Reaction score
Hi everybody, first time long time (forum lurker). I've been a member for years and have gotten lot of help from this forum, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out with a strange one. I'll try to keep it brief but include the full story.

After being my daily for about seven years, I put the old Suburban away after buying a new truck last year. 153k miles, I've done a lot of work over the years to keep it right, and it drove perfectly when I put it in storage. It was driven on three different weekends over about a year, and last drove it for a week in June while the new truck was in the shop. Again, drove great with no issues. Last month, I went over to bring it back home to replace all of the bushings and other rubber, and the battery had died. While trying to jump start it, I used my charger/starter to try and start it one last time before breaking down and buying a new battery. When Dad hit the start button on the charger (275 amps, computer controlled to dump when it senses load), I turned the key and it never fully turned over (very dead, faulted battery). As soon as I released the key, I heard a noise that almost sounded like arcing (not the same but closest I can come to describing it), and the power locks cycled a couple of times before he unplugged the charger. After putting in the new battery, it starts and runs great, no DTC's in Dash Command or Tech2Win, but it won't shift at all. From Park, when I shift to Reverse, or any forward gear, the indicator shows the selected gear, and the revs come up about 50-75rpm indicated (instead of going down under load - seems like the computer is recognizing the shift command and compensating), but it will not go into gear. I've tried giving it throttle up to about 1500 RPM to see if it would pop into gear (thinking maybe just sat too long and something was stuck), but again, it won't go into gear. One other strange thing is that once you shift out of Park, you can run back and forth from Reverse down to 1st and back including Neutral, and the only thing that changes is the slight climb in revs as it expects to go into gear, but if you try to shift into Park while the engine is running you get a horrible grinding noise as the pawl tries to drop into an apparently spinning shaft. Once the truck is off, you can go back to Park.

I'm a decent pair of hands for most things, but I know almost nothing about automatics. I looked through the GM 4L60E manual and the FSM for my truck but I'm not sharp enough with these to figure it out. I bought the shift solenoids and filter kit (always AC Delco for parts) and was planning to start there, but I'm pretty lost on this. Also worth noting, no fluid leaks, level is good and seems to drop when you put it in Neutral. I'm thinking it has to be something electrical since it started after the failed jump start and everything was fine a couple of months before, but I'm afraid all I'm going to do without some help is fire the parts cannon at the problem.

If anyone has anything to go on, I would be very grateful. I have a VCX Nano with Tech2Win hooked up and also have a DashCommand license for this truck, along with a standard Innova 3040c, multimeter, test light, etc. I just really need some direction on this one. Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help.

TX_GMT425

Reaction score
Thanks guys I'll check those - I flat towed it with the engine running and my father in law said the speedo was working but I'll check the VSS - after the spike the speedo was pegged at 100mph but during the tow it dropped and started reading. I'll try the fuse and report back.

After my post, I pulled up the trans data in Tech2Win and went through the gears with the engine running - it showed 1st gear in all positions except 2nd (and Park, which I did not check due to the pawl grinding), when the computer showed second.

Thanks again - I'll check it out and report back.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suppose you need to check the shift linkage underneath to me make sure you have a mechanical connection to your lever? I would hook up a pressure guage and see what the hydraulic pressure is at idle and with an increase in pressure.

Another thing I would do is look at the pin-out for the pillow switch and see if it working correctly. You should be able to do that without dropping the pan? Not sure. But this is going to be related to the hydraulics working correctly.

The pillow switch is the one responsible for telling the ECU the gear selector was changed or the transmission successfully made the automatic gear shift when commanded.

What did you mean "pawl grinding" BTW?

Last edited:

TX_GMT425

Reaction score
What did mean "pawl grinding" BTW?
Sorry - trying to type about something I'm weak on while I was on the phone with my doctor - having knee surgery next week so I've been moving slowly trying to diag this. What happens is when you start the truck in Park, you can shift out into all of the other gears and the PRNDL indicates correctly, but when you shift back into Park while the truck is running, it makes the 'grinding" noise of the pawl trying to drop into the hole on a moving part (output shaft, sun gear, can't remember which). If you've ever taught your kid to drive and they put it in Park while the truck is still moving, you know the sound (and it makes the hair stand up on your neck). I just realized about 30 minutes ago that that means the output shaft is turning, so I'm about to go check the transfer case - it's the electronic shift on the fly setup so I'm wondering if it got switched into Neutral on the T-case (the indicator lights aren't coming on so that could mean bad switch I'm guessing). I'll post what I find.

I did check the linkage before and it mechanically moves when you move the shifter; I thought it might be the sensor on the side of the linkage but the PRNDL indicates correctly so I figure it's ok. I'm waiting to hear back from a buddy who has a pressure gauge (I have fuel pressure, cylinder pressure, etc. but I've never messed with automatic transmissions before so I'm going to have to borrow his) and I'll check that - I'm guessing the correct line pressures are listed in the manual? Also, not familiar with a 'pillow switch' - do you mind educating me on that, i.e. where it is and how to diag it?

Sorry again for being ignorant on this stuff - I love mechanical work and I'm getting better at electronics, but a magic box with mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic all together? Reading the 4L60E manual feels like trying to learn German by reading a German-language service manual.

Thanks again guys - I'm heading out to the garage and I'll post what I find.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No worries, we all start somewhere. I know these units seem like voodoo or black magic in a box at the beginning. I'm far from an expert, but have learned some things here and there by being a YouTube spectator, LOL.

Here a description of the pillow switch and you should be able to trace those wires to the connector. Now that I think about it, you won't be able to test continuity because you need to physically press the switch. https://ls1tech.com/forums/automati...anifold-pressure-switch-cleaning-testing.html

Actually, the manual has a lot more information than that link: http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/4L60E.pdf

Pages 5-9...

That clicking sound is the rod that goes from the rooster comb to the output carrier teeth to engage the brake when you put it into Park...Sounds normal to me. But you are supposed to come to a stop before putting the shifter to Park...but now I'm confused. I thought the truck didn't move?

Last edited:

TX_GMT425

Reaction score
SUCCESS!!! I feel really stupid, but at least it's working and it didn't cost me any more money!

It was in Neutral on the transfer case! I still have some diag to do (I think the switch is failing or has a bad connection) but after messing with the 4WD switch, the left side backlighting came on (but not the right side - 4H and 4L) but the indicator light did not light up for 2H, Auto 4H, or Neutral. I pressed the switch to try 2H and Auto 4H but nothing happened - when I pressed 4H it seemed like nothing happened but when I shifted to Neutral on the transmission it engaged. Now I can move forward in Drive, back in Reverse, and when I shift to Park it works fine. Going to diag the 4WD switch and take it for a drive but looks like that was it.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions - I'll toast you guys with a glass of rye when I get back! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

TX_GMT425

Reaction score
That clicking sound is the rod that goes from the rooster comb to the output carrier teeth to engage the brake when you put it into Park...Sounds normal to me. But you are supposed to come to a stop before putting the shifter to Park...but now I'm confused. I thought the truck didn't move?
Correct, the truck didn't move, but the output shaft was spinning inside the transmission even though the truck was stationary. So when you moved the shifter to Park, the output shaft was spinning as if the truck was moving (but with the T-case in Neutral, it wasn't moving), and that left the parking pawl trying to drop into the hole on the spinning (sun gear, output shaft, not sure which but wherever the pawl engages normally).

Just came back from a short drive and it's in 2H but doesn't want to shift to 4H or 4L - going to check the connector and test the switch and replace if needed. Thanks again guys - time for a drink!