1999 single cab- How involved is cab removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Chevy sclb 1 ton that I have ls swapped, at the moment the engine is out and I’m waiting on parts for the new trans, I. The meantime I was going to remove the whole body wash and paint the frame and install a 2-3 drop and poly bushings on everything. At the moment the entire frame is coated in mud grease and grime and it’s pain to work on...

That brings the question at hand. How involved is removal of the cab? Are there any tricks to making the job easier?

The reason behind doing this is I want a street truck/sleeperstyle build, I’m keeping the old beat up body and bed the way it is but I am going to have a clean fully redone frame, suspension, and drivetrain.

You must be registered for see images attach

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Someone on here did a cab swap in their build thread. Swapped a ext cab to a ext cab with a 3rd door on their 3500. Made it look very easy in the build thread. I can’t remember who it was
@88GMCtruck @Z71Hobbs @df2x4 @454cid @NightRunner @Biggershaft96
@BNielsen
These guys know everything on this forum. They’ll know who did it

I usually don't keep up with build threads so I'm not sure about that one specifically... This thread might be helpful though. I've seen @someotherguy post about this more than once before.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/cab-swap.28080/

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Someone on here did a cab swap in their build thread. Swapped a ext cab to a ext cab with a 3rd door on their 3500. Made it look very easy in the build thread. I can’t remember who it was
@88GMCtruck @Z71Hobbs @df2x4 @454cid @NightRunner @Biggershaft96
@BNielsen
These guys know everything on this forum. They’ll know who did it

Wow, I guess I'm spending too much time online... I have just owned my truck since 99. There's a lot I don't know.

I think you're talking about 83gmck2500
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/1996...nv-4500-daily-driver.23693/page-5#post-852237

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Chevy sclb 1 ton that I have ls swapped, at the moment the engine is out and I’m waiting on parts for the new trans, I. The meantime I was going to remove the whole body wash and paint the frame and install a 2-3 drop and poly bushings on everything. At the moment the entire frame is coated in mud grease and grime and it’s pain to work on...

That brings the question at hand. How involved is removal of the cab? Are there any tricks to making the job easier?

The reason behind doing this is I want a street truck/sleeperstyle build, I’m keeping the old beat up body and bed the way it is but I am going to have a clean fully redone frame, suspension, and drivetrain.

Its only 6 bolts, 3? ground straps, unbolt the ac compressor from the motor if you still have it, rad hoses, trans cooler lines, steering column, shift cable, and the electrical connections to pull the cab and dog house off a single cab.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Its only 6 bolts, 3? ground straps, unbolt the ac compressor from the motor if you still have it, rad hoses, trans cooler lines, steering column, shift cable, and the electrical connections to pull the cab and dog house off a single cab.

brake lines, cooling system (including trans, oil, power steering), lines to hydrobooster.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just 4 bolts holding the single cab to the frame. If you plan on leaving the interior intact, doors installed, etc. then you'll want a 4 post lift. If you're stripping the cab down for other work, you can use an engine hoist, providing it's one with extendable legs so it doesn't topple over. The cheapie ones with fixed legs won't cut it.

Using the body bolt holes to bolt chains to the cab and engine leveler to balance it out..

No biggie :) 1 man job

If you're gonna go 4 post lift you could probably get away with leaving the front clip attached, too. Just unbolt the core support from the frame, 2 bolts there. Obviously there will be a few other small details to clear but it's not complicated at all. I would strongly suggest chains bolted to the cab bolt holes wrapped around the post legs as a safety so the assembled cab/front clip combo doesn't go tumbling forward due to being off-balance.

Richard