1999 L29 454 distributer replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke Kimball

Reaction score
Hey So I have a 1999 k2500 crew cab with the L29 454 I was told that the motor is electronically timed an can't be timmed with a timing gun? Any one have any advice or information? I was told after you install it at tdc you have to use a programmer of some kind to time it? I thought it wasnt true till I looked for timming marks an realised they aren't there lol

You must be registered for see images attach

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are lots of write ups on changing out a Vortec distributor. Pretty much the same process between sbc and BBC.

There is a crank re learn that can be done with a fancy scanner to fine tune the dizzy position

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you follow the directions carefully and keep the rotor position and new distributor position aligned you can get it pretty close or within tolerance.

Lucky for me my neighbor has the fancy red scan tool so he helped me get mine running smooth again. I think I actually got the distributor in the right place I just had a couple of plug wires in the wrong spots. I can't remember if he had to do a re learn on mine.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

JohnR

Reaction score
Cut holes thru the top of an old cap so that you can see the spark jump from the rotor to the dist. pins. Start the engine and align the spark between them. Too far either way will set a code (41?). Too far will cause a missfire.

4x4burbs

Reaction score
I used a combination of the procedures in the book when I replaced my distributor over two years ago and haven't had a single problem.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are lots of write ups on changing out a Vortec distributor. Pretty much the same process between sbc and BBC.
Far as I know, the procedure is exactly the same between SBC and BBC.

However, the OEM distributor for the L29 is not the same as the distributor for the small-blocks. The OEM BBC distributor has a "Thermal Washer" near the distributor gear, at least according to my '97 service manual.

How this affects aftermarket distributors I have no idea. Summit sells SBC and BBC "replacement" Vortec distributors that have different part numbers depending on application. I assume the BBC has the "Thermal Washer" and the SBC unit doesn't.

My unproven suspicion is that the distributor gear for the L29 Vortec distributor is shorter to make room for the special washer--but I haven't had one out to compare.

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before removing distributor
1)Mark the cap to base
2)Base to the block
Then I used a long metal straight edge to make three marks pointing to distributor cap to get it back in same position
Two marks on cap and one to a landmark

With cap off
Again I made a three point mark with rotor position relative to fire wall (two marks on rotor)
I also made a three point mark pointing to base of distributor under rotor (rotor removed)
Relative to any land mark
Firewall or intake

This will get you within 1 degree
Also mark the straight edge and use the same side for making marks
And take a picture of rotor position for reference with straight edge in place

Last edited:

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes the oil pump shaft will seat your distributor off by a couple of gears (it rotates slightly as you pull distributor up and out)
You will have to pull it up and out and turn oil pump shaft and try and reseat to see if it’s is oriented correctly

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you replacing it ?
Is gear worn out ?
My instructions are for remove and replace same distributor

Last edited: