1999 GMC Suburban K2500 DD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I'd like to know what the black box tune offers the 454

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very curious to hear how you like your black box tune. I debated with sticking with the black box but the temptation of live tuning and a tow/haul mode got the best of me. I have the flashed 0411 back, just haven't installed yet.
That's the beauty of the black box tune. It just plugs in, no pulling wires and wondering what you did wrong...

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

The black box is adequate, I tuned one awhile back for a guy and the truck drove and ran well, the truck was stock though. If much modding is planned the 0411 is where its at.

Even stock the 0411 is nice, a lot more control with what's going on. Dual timing tables with knock learn, better DCFO, fan controls, LT fuel trims follow into PE, there's probably more I'm not thinking about.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
The black box is adequate, I tuned one awhile back for a guy and the truck drove and ran well, the truck was stock though. If much modding is planned the 0411 is where its at.

Even stock the 0411 is nice, a lot more control with what's going on. Dual timing tables with knock learn, better DCFO, fan controls, LT fuel trims follow into PE, there's probably more I'm not thinking about.

If I ever decided to go further in to the block, I'd probably swap to the 0411. Right now, I just don't see myself doing that with 89K on the clock. More than anything I'd like to see the GM nannies removed and the better fueling/timing that the big block deserves.

Normally I would have my tuner down in Topeka take care of it, but I'm avoiding unnecessary travel at this point.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Black box came in Friday. I installed over my lunch hour, fully prepared to have to go over to the mechanic I trust to do work I don't want to, for a CASE relearn. After doing the security relearn, no codes, and it runs like a champ. Knock on wood (knock knock), but I think everything is good to go.

Like all the LS tunes I've had my guy do over the years, this one matched my expectations. 'Burb now drives like it should, crisper shifts, and definitely more pep. We'll see how the fuel economy comes back. Black Bear did a good job on this one, and I had everything in a week's time.

Still waiting on the spacers, I emailed the owner of the company per his request when I didn't hear anything by Friday @ lunch. He replied he was going to head out to the floor and make sure they get sent out this week.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Took a trip up North to spend some time with family. Pulled a 12' enclosed tandem axle trailer to bring home some stuff. The 'Burb did great 10.898mpg running 71mph, the tune is definitely doing its job. That's the same mileage I've been averaging back and forth to work. The return trip included a 30-40mph head/crosswind...I haven't fueled up to check those numbers. I've forgotten how awesome it is to leave from a dead stop with a big block while pulling a trailer. Definitely couldn't tell it was there!

New LED fog lights arrived, now I just need to get my diesel bumper picked up so I can finish that project. Still no word on the spacers.....

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had the Black Bear tune on my 96 454 vortec k2500 extended cab sierra 8 lug for just over a year and it did everything mentioned above: crisper shifts, more pep. I also recently rounded out a full accel tune up included billet distributor, ceramic wires, iridium plugs and coil: tune has a little left as I added to the notes I was going to be installing JBA shorty headers... just need to order and install!! Final piece of the puzzle but truck has never run better!

The black bear tune was literally plug and play. Here is the option I did:

"If I send you the PCM/ECM out of my truck and you tune it, would I still have to do the re-learn?

No, you will not need to perform any CASE or security relearn procedures in this event."

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Got the email last night with a tracking number for the spacers. Looking forward to putting them on.

Still bouncing back and forth on a 2-2.5" cowl hood. I had one on my '98 Z71 ECSB, but there's something to be said for a flat hood...what I'm not sure, but something.

I'd love to do the cab lights, but drilling holes in my roof sounds terrible.

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my $.02 but I'd skip the cowl hood on this one. I think they are cheesy as hell and give these trucks a bit of a ricer look. Just my opinion, but its your Burb.....and I think it looks fugging awesome the way it is.