1999 GMC Suburban K2500 DD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
OK...note to self, check the part number on the part in the box...check the part number when you open the box...check the part number.

I opened up the parts box when it came in this week to verify it had parts in it, didn't check the number. 3rd time I've been sent the wrong part, and this is the 2nd company I've tried. Beyond frustrated with the parts houses at this point.

So...side steps were put on, oil changed, and tires rotated. Switched to 0w40 Castrol full synthetic, same stuff I run in the Z28. I'll try this and see if it likes it as well or better than the T6 5w40 Rotella I used on the last change. It was hard on the 5w30 full synthetic Castrol I started with.

Why the oil change? Are you having oil pressure issues, or cold start noises?

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Why the oil change? Are you having oil pressure issues, or cold start noises?

I change every 5k religiously on my drivers with full-synthetic and a Wix filter, and it was due, just rolled it over 100k. Oil's cheap.

It has that Vortec 7.4l rattle when it initially starts for about 3 seconds when cold, I expected that when I bought it. Back when they still measured tolerances with ruler instead of a micrometer, haha.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I change every 5k religiously on my drivers with full-synthetic and a Wix filter, and it was due, just rolled it over 100k. Oil's cheap.

It has that Vortec 7.4l rattle when it initially starts for about 3 seconds when cold, I expected that when I bought it. Back when they still measured tolerances with ruler instead of a micrometer, haha.

Thats one issue i'm having right now, is a slight rattle on cold start. My 5.3 burb is running 20w-50 though, I should switch to 5w-30 Synthetic delco oil and see what happens... I bet that rattle goes away, as it's a lifter chatter on cold start / pump up. They're brand new sealed power US made lifters.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Thats one issue i'm having right now, is a slight rattle on cold start. My 5.3 burb is running 20w-50 though, I should switch to 5w-30 Synthetic delco oil and see what happens... I bet that rattle goes away, as it's a lifter chatter on cold start / pump up. They're brand new sealed power US made lifters.

Yeah that's pretty heavy for the chilly mornings we've been having. Did you put new lifter buckets in too? I wonder if they just need some more time to "break in."

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty heavy for the chilly mornings we've been having. Did you put new lifter buckets in too? I wonder if they just need some more time to "break in."

I didn't do the lifter trays on this motor, I wanted to see what the viability was of actually reusing the old ones.

Some of these engines have 300k+ on the original trays, after a visible inspection if no cracking or damage is found, I see no reason to replace them.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I didn't do the lifter trays on this motor, I wanted to see what the viability was of actually reusing the old ones.

Some of these engines have 300k+ on the original trays, after a visible inspection if no cracking or damage is found, I see no reason to replace them.

Yeah, hard to argue that. I've never pulled a set out that was bad.