1999 GMC Suburban K2500 DD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to call it struggles, they're just more involved. Fingers crossed I have slip on drums out back! Does this rig have slip on drums @OutlawDrifter?

No such luck on the drums. Axles get to come out on this ole girl. Rear shoes are in great shape, however, appear to have been changed shortly before I bought it back in 2020.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to call it struggles, they're just more involved. Fingers crossed I have slip on drums out back! Does this rig have slip on drums @OutlawDrifter?
Lucky, both of my trucks are stud mounted drums outback. Been debating swapping a FF 14-Bolt out of a Suburban that's got a G80 in place of the open diff on the crew cab.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Road has dried up enough to bed in the pads. Definitely less peddle effort to bring the Suburban to a stop.

Drove it to work today to get some miles on the new studs for another round of torque wrenching. If we can keep the mud at bay for a while, I think I'm going to put the Suburban back in service as a DD.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
About a month and half ago I drove the Suburban to Salina, KS for the KHP graduation. My youngest daughter's boyfriend was graduating and getting his badge. About half way there I was rolling through Junction City, going passed Fort Riley on I70 and I got pulled over...I wasn't speeding, so didn't understand why the Trooper lit me up.

Turns out the backup camera that has been on there for almost 4 years was covering up too much of my plate. Trooper stated while it wasn't likely to get me pulled over, it wasn't technically legal in Kansas. We had a good laugh about the fact that I was headed to the graduation and then he wanted to talk about the Suburban for about 10min. Gave me a warning and sent me on my way...had a good story to share with everyone at graduation.

Bought a different camera to remedy the solution and decided to install it today...not super excited about the new camera, but we'll give it a try. Install is definitely not as sanitary as the last unit on the outside, and I had to run a new RCA cable all the way back (which meant blowing the interior apart again).

While I had the dash apart I finally adapted the Savana knob for the headlights, so now everything inside that is HVAC or headlight is Savana.