1999 C1500 GMC Suburban 5.7 fuel issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
START by chasing the Security light.

When you get that figured-out, if there's still a driveability issue, verify fuel pressure, then connect a scan tool, verify all the sensors, and computer outputs--EGR, spark advance, etc. Look at the condition of the plugs, plug wires, cap 'n' rotor, etc.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No I removed the hose from the valve cover, plugged and spray in the throttle body bonnet at that point of access. However the security light does not go out.

That's a 3/4" vacuum leak. Does the security light flash when it dies? I forget what it does when it's happy as it's long disabled on my trucks.

Mister1500

Reaction score
There is still an open port where I removed the hose off of the throttle body bonnet. So I have tried pulling codes an I have no power to the ALDL. I find nothing in the owners manual in the fuse diagrams about power to the ALDL. Not sure if this may be part of the issue or not. Need more advice. Thanks again for all help!!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There is still an open port where I removed the hose off of the throttle body bonnet. So I have tried pulling codes an I have no power to the ALDL. I find nothing in the owners manual in the fuse diagrams about power to the ALDL. Not sure if this may be part of the issue or not. Need more advice. Thanks again for all help!!

That's a huge unmetered air leak and will cause the truck to run like crap.

Mister1500

Reaction score
I only removed the hose to spray directly into the throttle. If I spray it runs. If not it dies after 2-5 with the hose connected. I have proven to myself that I still have spark if the external fuel source is used. I am trying to determine why it dies after 2-5 secs of running smooth. I have checked my fuse for the lighter circuit which seems to be power for ALDL. It is good. Not blown. Need siggestions

Mister1500

Reaction score
I have an Autel. It does not power up when plugged in as it should. I have used it on my other GM’s in the family without issue

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a vats issue. Been there. The dead give away is that it runs with an external fuel source. I chased this problem before. Replace the vats module with a rebuilt unit or boneyard unit, or have a tuner disable it.