1999 C/K1500 oddities and observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67_C-30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may be common knowledge here, so if it is, just chalk it up to me being a newb…:)

Ever since we’ve had my son’s ‘99 K1500 we’ve had people telling us we “have the wrong year”, “99’s are that body style” etc, etc. With that in mind, I ordered a 1999 C/K series dealership brochure. Reading through it, I noticed some interesting things that seem to be unique to 1999, especially in the 1/2 ton line. I thought I’d share it with the group here.

The C/K1500 was only offered in an extended cab, short fleetside. No regular cabs or LWB was available in the 1/2 ton line in ‘99 according to this brochure. A reg cab LWB, extended cab SWB and LWB, and the crew cab SWB was available for 2500 and 3500s. The crew cab LWB was only available in 3500.

Only the 5.0 and 5.7 V8 was available for the 1/2 ton line. There was no 4.3 V6 available. The 5.7, 7.4, and 6.5 Turbo Diesel was available in the 2500 and 3500.

The only trim packages available were base, LS, and LS Premium. The C/K1500 was only available in LS trim and LS Premium Trim. The 2500 and 3500 had a base trim package, along with LS and LS Premium.

My son’s truck has the LS badge on the cab where a normal Silverado, Cheyenne, etc badge would be. It does have Silverado under the CHEVROLET tailgate emblem. I’m assuming that emblem is the factory one, but I’m not sure about that. If you other guys with a ‘99 K1500 would tell what your tailgate emblem is I’d appreciate it!

Nothing in this brochure mentions Silverado to do with any of these trucks. My assumption is they decided to completely separate the C/K line from the new for ‘99 Silverado line.

You must be registered for see images attach

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
this is from wikipeadia

In August 1998, General Motors released the GMT800 generation of full-size pickups for the 1999 model year as the replacement for the fourth-generation C/K trucks introduced for 1988. The long-running C/K nomenclature was retired by Chevrolet in favor of a singular Chevrolet Silverado nameplate (as GMC had done in 1988 with the GMC Sierra).

For the 1999 model year, GM continued sales of the fourth-generation C/K alongside its GMT800 successor, intending to use up leftover parts stock.[15] Newly rebranded the Chevrolet Silverado Classic and GMC Sierra Classic (dropping the Chevrolet Cheyenne), GM continued sales of the Classic in all three payload series. Largely aimed towards fleet sales, to minimize production costs, the 1500-series Classic was offered only with the 5.0 L and 5.7 L V8 and an automatic transmission and much of the previous Silverado interior trim (in an effort to steer potential base-trim or W/T 1500 buyers towards the all-new Silverado).

For 2000, the Classic was pared down to the 2500 and 3500 series with the model line reduced solely to the C3500HD chassis cab for 2001 and 2002.

67_C-30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is from wikipeadia

In August 1998, General Motors released the GMT800 generation of full-size pickups for the 1999 model year as the replacement for the fourth-generation C/K trucks introduced for 1988. The long-running C/K nomenclature was retired by Chevrolet in favor of a singular Chevrolet Silverado nameplate (as GMC had done in 1988 with the GMC Sierra).

For the 1999 model year, GM continued sales of the fourth-generation C/K alongside its GMT800 successor, intending to use up leftover parts stock.[15] Newly rebranded the Chevrolet Silverado Classic and GMC Sierra Classic (dropping the Chevrolet Cheyenne), GM continued sales of the Classic in all three payload series. Largely aimed towards fleet sales, to minimize production costs, the 1500-series Classic was offered only with the 5.0 L and 5.7 L V8 and an automatic transmission and much of the previous Silverado interior trim (in an effort to steer potential base-trim or W/T 1500 buyers towards the all-new Silverado).

For 2000, the Classic was pared down to the 2500 and 3500 series with the model line reduced solely to the C3500HD chassis cab for 2001 and 2002.
I’ve seen that, but from what I can tell they only actually called the GMC the Classic. I can’t find any documentation that called the C/K line a Silverado after ‘99. It seems they didn’t drop the C/K name, at least in ‘99.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My Dad and I had those "wrong year" parts issues with some of our trucks. We had a 1990 square body Suburban; even when we used the R/V designation it didn't always guarantee the correct parts. Then we got our first '99 Burb and the process started again. Best practice is to have the VIN number when getting parts(I use the insurance card). You'd think that when ordering engine parts, that 5.0/5.7 vs. 4.8/5.3/6.0 would get the right stuff, but not always.... this is why I'm real picky where I get new parts from.
Sometimes the "catalog" computer listings are incorrect or vague. When I bought the TPS for my crew cab, I asked about and got a quote for the IACV (knowing from experience that they often fail around the same time). The computer showed one brand as the primary unit, and another brand(AC Delco as a matter of fact!)showed the same part to be an auxiliary unit. I bought both parts in Standard Ignition brand, since it's a brand I know and they have a lifetime warranty.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
the 99 1500 classic could also be had with a stepside bed I do not know if they were all 3 door or not though note my former friends truck a 99 gmc 1500 classic the tailgate reads sierra 1500 classic I do not think it had a gmc badge

67_C-30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 99 1500 classic could also be had with a stepside bed I do not know if they were all 3 door or not though note my former friends truck a 99 gmc 1500 classic the tailgate reads sierra 1500 classic I do not think it had a gmc badge
It stands to reason if they had leftover stepside beds that they’d sell them, even if it isn’t in the brochure.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing to remember a marketing brochure is not the " end all " for what options are available. There is a technical card that list all options available and informs adding " *** " includes blah, blah. Or if " ZZZ " is chosen " YYY " not available.
Good luck!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
One thing to remember a marketing brochure is not the " end all " for what options are available. There is a technical card that list all options available and informs adding " *** " includes blah, blah. Or if " ZZZ " is chosen " YYY " not available.
Good luck!
Yup most brochures are printed way in advance of the new model release, so "some changes may be made to reflect available options".....

67_C-30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck!
Yes, definitely. I’ve seen conflicting in the brochures over the years too.
The biggest reason I ordered these was to have a documented piece of factory literature proving there was actually GMT400 1500 trucks made in 1999.

It’s unbelievable how confident some people are that they didn’t exist!