1999 C/K1500 oddities and observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At the propeller shop we had a C3500 obs, 2000 (?), with flatbed with holes in the bed like a welding jig table. And we insert angled forks to carry props, as we pickup and delivered the broken, bent , or due for O/H.
And all that paper pamphlets, brochure stuff printed way in advance, then some decides " nope not available", but, but,. Nope tough beans. :3811797817_8d685371

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, definitely. I’ve seen conflicting in the brochures over the years too.
The biggest reason I ordered these was to have a documented piece of factory literature proving there was actually GMT400 1500 trucks made in 1999.

It’s unbelievable how confident some people are that they didn’t exist!
Wait til you try telling them GMT400 3500HD's existed through 2006 (and possibly even 2007) .. and even tandem axle models existed

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I see them occasionally and have to do a double take....
This one on FB Marketplace really fried my brain. 2005 model, 8.1 (on LP gas, as most of those Mexico HD's are), 5 speed, tandems, and a reeeeeeediculously long wheelbase. I'll have to assume they just removed whatever bed was on it in order to sell the truck, as the LP tank is just roped(!) to the frame behind the cab. Rear-mount gas tank still between the rails. What a beast! By the way the truck was listed for $168,000 (Mex) which converts to just under $9K USD.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
This one on FB Marketplace really fried my brain. 2005 model, 8.1 (on LP gas, as most of those Mexico HD's are), 5 speed, tandems, and a reeeeeeediculously long wheelbase. I'll have to assume they just removed whatever bed was on it in order to sell the truck, as the LP tank is just roped(!) to the frame behind the cab. Rear-mount gas tank still between the rails. What a beast! By the way the truck was listed for $168,000 (Mex) which converts to just under $9K USD.

Richard
Put a flatbed on it and you have an aircraft carrier on ten wheels....

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The third axle, it's a tag not a driving axle.
Agreed that it is not a driven axle as the forward one appears to be the stock Dana 80 we're used to seeing on these trucks. Clearly it's there to add payload capacity. The rear one looks similar (not much shares that 10x7.25 wheel pattern) but the axle bolts look slightly different, to me anyway. All the D80's I've seen have the familiar 5 bolt pattern on the axle but the rear one has 4?

Figure out where the spring setup came from, though. It's an odd contraption overall and I can't tell if it's homemade (with original parts sourced from other vehicles) or something GM Mexico built for these models.

I just find these trucks a bit fascinating as the model lived quite a few years beyond U.S. market production, I guess it was easy for GM to do since they had already shifted the line to Silao Mexico for the 2001-2002 models.

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would say it's just a tube axle with a spindle and inner/ outer bearing pack similar to a trailer setup. That center spring pivot definitely home made, and the frame appears to have a "C" channel overlay. Most likely gonna be somebody's overloaded box body, Sugarcane, etc.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I would say it's just a tube axle with a spindle and inner/ outer bearing pack similar to a trailer setup. That center spring pivot definitely home made, and the frame appears to have a "C" channel overlay. Most likely gonna be somebody's overloaded box body, Sugarcane, etc.
Cane, cotton, corn, whatever they got a lot of that needs moved.