1999 4x4 2500 Cracked frame at steering box no rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the flux-core (FCAW) welding process. It actually puts in more heat into the weld per given amps over the "MIG" (GMAW) process. So a machine with both processes will always give you more penetration for the same settings (MIG vs FCAW.)

I'm into building design and FACW and SMAW is all they use for structural welds. Columns, beams, braces, etc. for buildings. We are talking stuff holding up X amount of floors. High rise buildings, same thing. Been that way since welding really took off back in the 1940s. Mind you, some of the stuff being welded is routinely 1 1/2" trick! I better not see MIG on a jobsite, or I'll be requesting for welder certificates and taking a look if the MIG is a permitted on AWS charts...(only like 1 specific overhead welding position I think allows it.)

...but I understand in the auto repair industry Flux-core is considered "junk." :( Maybe it got a bad rap because folks using that cheap AC Horror Freight flux core welder (FCAW requires a DC power supply!)

Did OP ever chime back in?
Mig or ERW is all that's recommended for auto body. I have certs is both as related to the auto-body industry.
Shielding gas isn't going to work 10 stories up with a crosswind. So I get the different application/different process thing.

Er70-S-6 is what's spec'd for autobody because it has properties that lend itself to welding less than pristine polished metal, the welds will have the proper tensile strength, is less prone to weld inclusions, and less prone to welding over slag or any other pitfalls a novice might do.

Bottom line here, I'm not seeing enough heat and without that the weld is just laying on top of the base metal.

Last edited: