1998 z71 stroker build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rowdy Texan

Reaction score
AUS Injection offers replacement spiders in 36, 48 and 62 lb/hr. Have a ~500 hp 383 on E85 with the 48 lb/hr unit.

Roller rockers add power everywhere via a friction reduction.

Years ago I put a X pipe on a factory true 2.5" dual exhaust system on a 305. Gave a 3/10ths of a second ET reduction and a 2 mph trap speed increase in the 1/8 mile even with the factory shorty header style tubular manifolds and factory mufflers in place. Added full length tri-y headers to it and it dropped another 4 tenths in ET. Swapped the factory mufflers for flowmasters and gained nothing more than noise. Swapped those flowmasters for magnaflows and dropped another 2 tenths. The combination of tri-ys, X-pipe and magnaflows dropped the ET nearly a full second in the 1/8.
Wow that’s some good info.. thanks

Rowdy Texan

Reaction score
Got my headlights and taillights swapped .. look much better I’ll post a few pics on here of it . I just got my gear sets I had ordered and plan go install them next week and will post some real stat updates on it when I get them in , going from 3:42 to 4:56 with this power combo should make a huge difference, I’m currently still running my stock tranny, I’m open to suggestions if any of y’all have recommended options shoot them to me, I have a feeling this old girls slipping in me now, just easing around in it she damm near idles at 50 mph in overdrive, at 70 she lopes at a cool 1600 rpm on flat ground but I know that’s gonna change once this gear swaps done. Currently from a dead stop torqued up and stomped it just lights the tires up and won’t hook up , then when she does she pulls kinda steady up and through the gears but I think it’s slipping quite a bit, with this high gear set she feels like she hits her real power and up around 80 and 90 but with this lift I’m not staying in it above 100. Too loose , anyway I built her to pull and pull hard so I can’t wait to see the change with the gear combo I’m going to , I think I will be pleased it at least untill I lose the tranny

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet truck but i have one suggestion, a 4L80-E to replace your stock 4L60-E. for starters the 80E was designed for the 3/4 or 1 tons which usually meant constant towing. another note is i've seen many people swap the 60E for an 80E with some ease i don't know what goes into the swap i just know it's possible. Sweet build man i have yet to begin a true build. good luck on finding a good trans to handle your beautiful 383.

Rowdy Texan

Reaction score
Ok well I have had a few weeks in it and have a few bugs to work out . Any advice will be appreciated.
1. the truck falls off they dyno power at 4-4500 rpm. It makes really strong power steady up to this and then falls off abruptly, our suspicion is the stock fuel pump, we r gonna try a 255 and see if it cures it, but up to that point it’s really strong walks up to 300hp and close to 500 tq at wheels without even trying them just crashes like it hits a wall
2. Can’t get speedo calibrated. Reads 100 mph at 70 and my tuner guy can’t seem to change it no matter what he does, abs lights on and can’t get it off either. Went from 3:42 to 4:56 and I didn’t notice any difference in Speedo before but it’s way off now, I have had a long running problem with gas gauge going nuts on it and now Speedo is and my rear speakers quit working, plus my a/c won’t kick on but will work fine when 12v is wired straight to the compressor, we suspect a wiring harness ground or instrument cluster is screwed

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can do a search to find out what the fuel pump and the injectors are capable of supporting. The guys here can confirm this.

What's the Air to Fuel ratio when it falls off? I think if it leans out too much that can cause engine damage, not sure if that only applies to boosted engines or also to naturally aspirated.

If tire size and axle ratio are correct, then your speedo cluster is most likely bad. Mine is off by 10 mph @ 70. The ECU on mine actually reads correct.

Rowdy Texan

Reaction score
Yes I think it’s that the tuner dude checked it while running and the ecm is reading oretty much same as gps. Maybe a mile or two an hr off but the speedo just keeps getting farther and farther off the faster it gets

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok well I have had a few weeks in it and have a few bugs to work out . Any advice will be appreciated.
1. the truck falls off they dyno power at 4-4500 rpm. It makes really strong power steady up to this and then falls off abruptly, our suspicion is the stock fuel pump, we r gonna try a 255 and see if it cures it, but up to that point it’s really strong walks up to 300hp and close to 500 tq at wheels without even trying them just crashes like it hits a wall
2. Can’t get speedo calibrated. Reads 100 mph at 70 and my tuner guy can’t seem to change it no matter what he does, abs lights on and can’t get it off either. Went from 3:42 to 4:56 and I didn’t notice any difference in Speedo before but it’s way off now, I have had a long running problem with gas gauge going nuts on it and now Speedo is and my rear speakers quit working, plus my a/c won’t kick on but will work fine when 12v is wired straight to the compressor, we suspect a wiring harness ground or instrument cluster is screwed
Where are you located in Texas?