1998 z71 stroker build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rowdy Texan

Reaction score
Hi this is my first time on this site , I am building a tow engine for my 1998 z71 and I would like to see if anyone has a similar power combo as mine and if so how, do you like how it performs and do you have any confirmed dyno numbers from it? Here is my build
5.7 vortec base with 383 stroker kit bored .030, 9.8-1 compression ,64cc vortec heads resurfaced, stock valves, beehive springs, full roller rockers w guide plates, comp cams xfi 210/218 cam. Advertised at 260/270, .565/.555 lift 113 lsa, stock intake and spider, re tuned with hp tuners, long tube 1 5/8” headers , 2.5 exhaust true duals no cats and glass packs, 3.42 gears 6 inch lift Firestone airbags with 285/55R 20s tires

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you plan on towing at 5500+ rpm, full rollers aren't really worth it. Yeah, I put full rollers on my motor as well, but if I were to build it again, I'd go with stamped rockers instead. .565/.555 lift is too much, even with the beehives, unless you're going to cut down the valve guides. When I measured mine, I came up with a safe max of .530 lift, and I'm running .507/.515.

Rowdy Texan

Reaction score
Unless you plan on towing at 5500+ rpm, full rollers aren't really worth it. Yeah, I put full rollers on my motor as well, but if I were to build it again, I'd go with stamped rockers instead. .565/.555 lift is too much, even with the beehives, unless you're going to cut down the valve guides. When I measured mine, I came up with a safe max of .530 lift, and I'm running .507/.515.

I understand.. yes we cut the valve guides down too they were too long for that cam. My machine shop handled all that for me when the batter it and bored the block , I went full roller because I use the truck for more than towing and really just wanted to get the full potential out of this power combo, probably not necessary but figured we would try it out

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the quench distance?

Camshaft degreed?

Any reason you didn't install the upgraded-injectors spider assembly?

Any reason you didn't install an exhaust crossover pipe?

Of course, you installed hardened pushrods instead of the stockers.

Rowdy Texan

Reaction score
What's the quench distance?

Camshaft degreed?

Any reason you didn't install the upgraded-injectors spider assembly?

Any reason you didn't install an exhaust crossover pipe?

Of course, you installed hardened pushrods instead of the stockers.
I was not able to find anything anywhere that was a remotely affordable option for injector upgrades on this engine. From what I have researched there only a few options one is a ramjet setup which is insane to pay for, second was go to a custom marine intake which was even more expensive , and their was to drop the whole ecm setup and go to a carb which I’m unwilling to do. I’m not interested in losing my efi setup its too smooth and nice to go back to a carb, and from what else I read it’s good for the power I’m looking to make, crossover pipe also from want I read wasn’t worth anything just hype, of course this is uncharted waters for me. I have nothing but testimonials online to go from so I may be wrong on some things, I for sure went with hardened pushrods ,

Rowdy Texan

Reaction score
This is the updated injector system. Uses stock intake manifold.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-217-...23383&pd_rd_wg=s3MgS&pd_rd_i=B000NW8EU8&psc=1

A crossover pipe will quiet the exhaust and give a reduction in back pressure.

What is the quench distance?

Cam degreed?
Ok i I gotcha now. I guess I misunderstood what you meant yes we changed the spider assembly as far as I understand it’s the same lb injectors and pressures etc , just like the OEM one , as far as the quench distance and cam degreed I’ll have to ask my friend that’s doing all that for me. I’m not the mechanic in it. I’ll have to get that info I don’t know what it is .

Rowdy Texan

Reaction score
Ok update, motor runs great , awesome torque , got my exhaust welded up this past Friday, got just a few more things to do and I’ll be done with it. I don’t have any dyno numbers on it but plan to drive it to the dyno shop after I get some miles on it and it’s broke in good. On a new note does anyone know from personal experience the max tire size I can run on it. It has a rough country 6 inch suspension lift on it and right now I’m running 285/55R20 tires I plan on going to at least a 35 after I wear these out but if I can go bigger I will , the wheel I’m running are 20x10 with 0 offset here’s a pic of it

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was not able to find anything anywhere that was a remotely affordable option for injector upgrades on this engine. From what I have researched there only a few options one is a ramjet setup which is insane to pay for, second was go to a custom marine intake which was even more expensive , and their was to drop the whole ecm setup and go to a carb which I’m unwilling to do. I’m not interested in losing my efi setup its too smooth and nice to go back to a carb, and from what else I read it’s good for the power I’m looking to make, crossover pipe also from want I read wasn’t worth anything just hype, of course this is uncharted waters for me. I have nothing but testimonials online to go from so I may be wrong on some things, I for sure went with hardened pushrods ,

AUS Injection offers replacement spiders in 36, 48 and 62 lb/hr. Have a ~500 hp 383 on E85 with the 48 lb/hr unit.

Roller rockers add power everywhere via a friction reduction.

Years ago I put a X pipe on a factory true 2.5" dual exhaust system on a 305. Gave a 3/10ths of a second ET reduction and a 2 mph trap speed increase in the 1/8 mile even with the factory shorty header style tubular manifolds and factory mufflers in place. Added full length tri-y headers to it and it dropped another 4 tenths in ET. Swapped the factory mufflers for flowmasters and gained nothing more than noise. Swapped those flowmasters for magnaflows and dropped another 2 tenths. The combination of tri-ys, X-pipe and magnaflows dropped the ET nearly a full second in the 1/8. That may not seem like alot but it was a huge noticeable difference. I had already swapped the factory low rise dual plane manifold for a performer rpm. I tweaked the q-jet and increased the primary jet size from a 72 to a 76. I had recurved the HEI to give 18° mechanical advance at 2,800 and 32° total timing at 14° initial timing. I had also swapped the air cleaner and inlet ducting from a TBI van that was much larger. I also swapped out the factory trans governor to bump the shift points up to 5,500 rpm from 4,500. I had also swapped on 1.6 rockers to get a little more out of the factory 194/203 duration, .390/.410 lift cam. The difference in normal driving was very noticeable. I gained over 10 mph on one uphill ramp I frequently merged onto. Being able to get to 75 mph rather than 65 mph was a HUGE difference.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok update, motor runs great , awesome torque , got my exhaust welded up this past Friday, got just a few more things to do and I’ll be done with it. I don’t have any dyno numbers on it but plan to drive it to the dyno shop after I get some miles on it and it’s broke in good. On a new note does anyone know from personal experience the max tire size I can run on it. It has a rough country 6 inch suspension lift on it and right now I’m running 285/55R20 tires I plan on going to at least a 35 after I wear these out but if I can go bigger I will , the wheel I’m running are 20x10 with 0 offset here’s a pic of it

You must be registered for see images attach

What gears are you looking to change to?