1998 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Remembered a few other things.

I still haven't got my headrests reupholstered. I pulled out all the wiring for my seat warmers, they got too hot and burned my brand new upholstery. I think I can fix it myself, we'll see. I haven't been able to find the rear upper trim piece at a scrapyard, they're either broken or already pulled. I'll try again this weekend.

I have a few oil leaks to fix. My pan gasket it leaking, I already replaced it once but it didn't help. Already ordered another. This time I'm going to put a bead of rtv around it. My right side valve cover gasket is also leaking. I had to double up the valve cover gaskets to fit my roller rockers, reckon I didn't do a very good job at it; replacing those as well.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Awest623

Reaction score
Other life events for those curious. I deployed to Iraq and got married. Also picked up a new brush guard for my truck. Couple pictures below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Awest623

Reaction score
Replaced my leaky valve cover gaskets today. I have to double up the gaskets to clear my roller rockers, reckon I didn't do a very good job the first time. I rtv'd them together outside of the truck this time. Fit perfect and no more leaks.

Also tidied up a little while I had the supercharger and everything out. Rerouted some wiring to make it cleaner and used zip ties to act as spark plug wire holders/seperators.

One of the old double gaskets:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is it the rockers themselves or the poly locks? I got shorter locks for my roller rockers, it all fits under a stock cover with a single gasket.

Awest623

Reaction score
Is it the rockers themselves or the poly locks? I got shorter locks for my roller rockers, it all fits under a stock cover with a single gasket.

The poly locks. I was gonna try shorter nuts but didn't know how short I could go. The double gasket seems to work fine

Awest623

Reaction score
Leaks are gone! After prolonged idling and a short drive everything is bone dry. New gaskets I made up. The first time I put a bead of rtv in between and installed them wet, which allowed the lower gasket to slide out of position. This time I stuck them together and let them dry while compressed on a flat surface.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The poly locks. I was gonna try shorter nuts but didn't know how short I could go. The double gasket seems to work fine

They look like it's a matter of time until they squirm and let go. The old style orange gaskets were better for stacking IMO. These new blue ones stretch to fit the valve cover. No part number, but here's a pic of the Crower poly locks I bought to replace what came with my Comp Pro Magnum rockers.

After having done this successfully, it's my preferred method for sure.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
New gaskets I made up. The first time I put a bead of rtv in between and installed them wet, which allowed the lower gasket to slide out of position. This time I stuck them together and let them dry while compressed on a flat surface.

This is probably going to work decent.

Awest623

Reaction score
They look like it's a matter of time until they squirm and let go. The old style orange gaskets were better for stacking IMO. These new blue ones stretch to fit the valve cover. No part number, but here's a pic of the Crower poly locks I bought to replace what came with my Comp Pro Magnum rockers.

After having done this successfully, it's my preferred method for sure.

Thanks. If it starts leaking again I'll give the crowers a shot. Pretty sure that's what I was looking at a couple years ago