1998 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Biggest difference between ramjet cam and the comp is lift. I'm at .460/.480 with 1.6:1 roller rockers on the ramjet cam. You'll be around .530 you said.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Biggest difference between ramjet cam and the comp is lift. I'm at .460/.480 with 1.6:1 roller rockers on the ramjet cam. You'll be around .530 you said.
Yup. That combined with the better flow numbers at high lift from the AFR heads. Vortec heads wouldn't be able to make use of that high of lift, plus all the extra work I'd have to do just to make them survive it.

I do think I might be limited by the intake. My injectors are up to the task but I don't think the intake manifold itself will flow enough. I've been eyeing the holley or edelbrock setups. I've had zero luck finding a marine intake. That's something for a later day anyways.

Sent from my Samsung S20 using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're going to need the marine intake to use with the Whipple without fab. The oh so difficult to find intake. The dyno software is a bit optimistic over 5000 RPM IMO. The cam will fall off hard over 5000, only the heads will let it stretch its legs any farther than that. It's the LSA that makes it that way. It comes on fast and falls off fast. You are likely already aware, but the ramjet cam is:

196/206
.460/.480
109 LSA
106 ICL (measure mine at 106.5 straight up)

Yours is 206/206
.530/.530
110 LSA
106 ICL

Power curve should be very similar, just more of everything I would think. I got more of everything when I did just the cam and lifters. Same as when I did blower and intake.

Awest623

Reaction score
You're going to need the marine intake to use with the Whipple without fab. The oh so difficult to find intake.

I got an ace up my sleeve. lol. 48 lb/hr injectors from wynjammer sitting in the back seat. Flow tested to 56 lb/hr at 58 psi. Updated spider style.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm currently running the ramjet/marine cam with 1.6 rockers as well.

As an interim measure, have you considered slapping the injectors in with just the Whipple? I personally don't mind retuning around crap like that.

Awest623

Reaction score
As an interim measure, have you considered slapping the injectors in with just the Whipple? I personally don't mind retuning around crap like that.
Usually I would agree. But I don't really have the time to space it all out, I do have the time to do it all at once. The unit I'm going to has an extremely high optempo. Constantly on training missions and deployed.

I plan on doing everything in the 25 days of leave I have when I PCS in September. My current plan is: arrive home on a Tuesday; swap heads/cam/headers/injectors/exhaust/whipple/fuel pump Wednesday through Friday (I know I can do the cam in 1 day max, the rest is easy). I'm giving myself + help from a friend the entire weekend to swap the tranny. Spend a few days tuning and then I'm off on a 3,000 mile road trip to work out the kinks. Should be fun.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What's the plan to deal with exhaust post header? Or are you going with bolt in shorties? You doing just the pump or pump and basket? Your 98 has the later plastic bucket design. If the Whipple kit is complete then it will bolt on quickly and easily. If not, I could see some snags. I put a 340LPH pump in my dually, didn't monkey with the wiring or anything and it's done just fine FYI. I got the cams out of both of my trucks without cracking the AC system open, but I did have to yank the grill and everything out to swing the AC forward enough to clear it all. What do you plan to do for pushrods? I see those heads use guide plates so are incompatible with a self aligning rocker. You're going to end up measuring for pushrods and you'll need hardened just as a heads up.

Awest623

Reaction score
What's the plan to deal with exhaust post header? Or are you going with bolt in shorties? You doing just the pump or pump and basket? Your 98 has the later plastic bucket design. If the Whipple kit is complete then it will bolt on quickly and easily. If not, I could see some snags. I put a 340LPH pump in my dually, didn't monkey with the wiring or anything and it's done just fine FYI. I got the cams out of both of my trucks without cracking the AC system open, but I did have to yank the grill and everything out to swing the AC forward enough to clear it all. What do you plan to do for pushrods? I see those heads use guide plates so are incompatible with a self aligning rocker. You're going to end up measuring for pushrods and you'll need hardened just as a heads up.

Long tubes. Gonna do that at my house, slap some turndowns on and drive to the local muffler shop with earplugs in.

Pump and basket, using an AEM 340lph e85 rated pump, cheap Chinese basket.

Doing what you did for the cam, same way I initially did it for the marine cam.

Ordering stock length hardened pushrods. Should be close enough to get me going. I'll measure for new ones while I'm at it and replace them at my earliest convenience.

And I'm ordering 1.6 narrow body non aligning rockers to fit under the stock valve covers.

I got everything planned out. Until I don't....
But I do appreciate the questioning to keep me on my toes.

I've done most of this stuff individually before. The only things I don't have experience with is the transmission swap and heads.

Sent from my Samsung S20 using Tapatalk

Awest623

Reaction score
Oh, and my whipple kit is "mostly" complete. All the important bits are there. I don't know if all the bolts and spacers are with it. I'm ordering replacement spacers and will drop by the hardware store if the bolts are missing.