1998 to 1996 Vortec 5.7 power steering pump swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my '97 K2500 has EVO, but either it works good or I'm too stupid to see/feel how it's broken. The truck had a huge PS leak when I bought it (failed "ps cooler" tubing inside the frame horn by the front bumper) so having functional ps and hydroboost is good enough for me.

Far as I can tell--and I don't claim to be an expert on this--if you have an EVO pump and a non-EVO pump, the real difference is in the output fittings, which includes the pressure relief valve.

Swap that from one pump to the other, changes which pump is EVO and which isn't. The internals of the pumps are the same. If you want an EVO pump, put the EVO fittings in it. If you want a non-EVO pump, put the non-EVO fittings in it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or get earlier non evo pump and 1 new high pressure line. Done. Less fittings attachments. Newer quality pump and new pressure line about the same cost or less than the "C" tube and adapter. Decisions, decisions...

Websterp55

Reaction score
Thank you all so much. I have a bypass going to be here Tuesday and will post how it worked. All of your replies were so helpful. Especially the attachments.
Thanks again.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I never knew there was a difference, then again, I haven't swapped any PS stuff on anything newer than a 94. I know getting rid of the rag joint is immeasurable for steering positivity, and gets rid of 98% of the "sway" felt in the steering.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All thats not necessary. All is needed is to change the threaded piece on the back of the pump to one without the evo valve and either twist your line to thread back in or get a new high pressure line for one without evo.

The evo does the pressure changes nothing special about the pumps

The only difference i recollect is the pressure valve inside the pump has a washer spacer for hydroboost and not on vac cause hydro requires a little more pressure