1998 sierra brake and steering questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just completed a frame off resto on my 98 sierra slt gfx ed. Everything is brand new, very few rebuilt parts. The issues I have is steering play, ABS activation right as vehicle comes to a stop and sometimes brakes do not release when brake pedal is released.

The front end is completely new or nos, new steering shaft and rag joint, red head steering box, new steering sensor etc. The front end has play between 11-1. Front end was aligned at a chevy dealer. The service mgr is a friend.

The brakes are all new rotors, pads, calipers, lines, hoses brake cables, had 4 wheel disc conversion using 2004 escalade parts. ABS almost all the time activates at the last say 5mph. Sometimes the brakes dont release . If i hit the pedal again they release no problem.

Any ideas?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if this is your ABS issue, but they had a TSB on something that sounds similar, maybe it will help...

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the steering, it all depends how far you want to take it. I went with a Redhead quick ratio steering box, and I removed the rag joint with a steel replacement from unbalanced engineering. They make the right piece for a small joint, but if you need the big donut you probably need to get it on ebay (I have one somewhere because I bought both if you want the big one PM me). My truck is a '98 and my research said it could be either size.

I also did the hydroboost conversion along with the disk brake conversion and found that with the new p/s pump, the steering was too easy, so I further installed a heidt's adjustable p/s flow regulator. Then the steering was too heavy at idle, even with the valve all the way open, so I installed a smaller pulley from a 2006 impala on the pump. Now it's pretty good, and there is nothing left to change out as I did the same as you and replaced everything in the front end.

As for your brakes, did you replace the wheel bearings? I am guessing yes, but what you describe is what my 2004 does when it needs new front wheel bearings.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

The bearings are brand new, no lights scanned the system and everything says its ok. Took it to a mechanic friend and he could not find the issue and he is a GM tech.

I did change the box to a red head quick ratio during the resto. The shaft and rag are a 1 pc replacement from Dorman.

I thought wou could not put another joint on the box due to the truck already having two.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by “another joint” there is only one. The dorman one is OE style and not solid right?

Not sure there is anything else you can do steering wise. If you crank the front TBs it definitely makes the front end less stable.

I forgot to mention I also put a moog steering stabilizer on mine. Not sure if it helps or not but I did everything possible to improve my steering. It’s 80% as good as my 2004 which has nothing more than an ebay front end kit and 5100’s all around. 206k miles.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by “another joint” there is only one. The dorman one is OE style and not solid right?

Not sure there is anything else you can do steering wise. If you crank the front TBs it definitely makes the front end less stable.

I forgot to mention I also put a moog steering stabilizer on mine. Not sure if it helps or not but I did everything possible to improve my steering. It’s 80% as good as my 2004 which has nothing more than an ebay front end kit and 5100’s all around. 206k miles.

95-99 have two joints already, one on the outer shaft, one in the column inside the truck.its not recommended to put another joint at the box. 88-94 you can because its the old style GM column. This is why you can use the Jeep shafts on the older GMT400's.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right that makes sense because I have a tilt wheel. I wasn't thinking about it like that because I took the shaft out from the firewall to the box when I did the work and there was only one joint, sorry.