1998 K1500 Transfer Case Locks in and Actuator works......NO 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
That's funny I was just about to post that same picture that I found. I will have to pull my front housing apart and hope that the clip is in one piece so I have something to compare to when I go looking to find one. I looked on RockAuto and all they and everybody else list is the snap I posted earlier. Even GM's Part website shows the clip in the diagram but they do not show that the part is available.

Reaction score
I went to my local Chevrolet dealer after work today and they were very helpful. They actually had the retaining clip needed in stock.
GM part # 26056600
after tax it was a whopping $2.07
I will be starting on the project this evening and I will post back results.
Again, many thanks to Burnhedge, without your help I may still be banging my head.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
I was able to take the axle apart last night. Unfortunately the previous owner tried to fix this once already. If you don't know what you are doing then get help before just throwing parts back in it. So here are some pictures of what I found when I removed the housing on the passanger side. Not too bad but have to wait for the new shim to come in. Got the new shim which is 1.27 and the GM part # is 15588376 - $5.09. Since I have the housing apart I am going to go ahead and replace the outer seal and bearing as it looked like it may be leaking a little bit. The Outer seal is GM part #22761722 - $24.27 and the outer shaft bearing is GM part# 26041515 - $37.48

When whoever shouldn't have been wrenching on the front axle put it back together they failed to install the gear over the shaft with the circlip in place so it never had a chance and because those parts were able to move up and down the axle shaft the shim came off and wedged itself, thankfully there is no other damage that will keep the four wheel drive from working. I will also take this opportunity to drain and refill the diff with some fresh fluid. My new shim will arrive tomorrow so after I pick it up and get home I will put it all back together and test. More updates to follow.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was trying to remember what exactly keeps the 4x4 from engaging in this situation.
That damn shim dropping!!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yup. I got the truck put back together an hour ago. Waiting for the sealant to dry before I test drive the 4x4 but I did put it in 4HI and the wheel locks so that is a good sign. Fingers crossed that all is good inside the differential and I should be back in business.

Reaction score
Success. 4x4 works again. Now I can move on to fixing the steering and the cobbled front brake lines.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure appreciate this info. I'm afraid I may have the same issue in a truck I just recently bought too. The actuator didn't correct my issue. I'll check this. I knew mine didn't work when buying the truck but hoped the actuator on the axle would correct it on my 95. FYI, I have the 4 contact plug actuator. Does anyone know what is different on the axles like mine (plastic 4 contact front axle actuator). My actuator is a lot bigger than the one that is mostly metal which I bought first and swapped. Do I have the same clip setup?

dans

Reaction score
Does oil fill this area in the pic above ? Or just a little drip past the drivers side gear? I fixed mine but a little oil drips past the axle seal on the passenger side were it gets close to the cv axle.I hope it just from having it jacked up before I refilled it while replacing the drivers side cv.I only test drove the 4x4 and noticed a little oil puddle after the test.Hopefully I just refilled a tad too much because I don't wanna have to pull this apart again to change the axle tube seal.