1998 K1500 Silverado 4X4 regular cab long box Frame Dimensions??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got the wheel alignment done, it was out on toe on but my fitting of the frame back together turned out great.
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like it's time for a new alignment guy, but good job on the frame repair. Was it diamonded?

NSDON

Reaction score
No. I lined it up myself and I found a real good welder. I got some really complete stock measurements and using those determined everything was square on the rear frame section. I used measurements for the rear cab mounts, the transmission mounts, and the rear frame tips to prove no diamond. Before cutting the frame in front of the frame joint welds I drilled an upper and lower 3/8 hole in the joint overlap and installed a grade 8 bolt and nut through the holes. There is a factory measuring hole on the rear frame section, just behind the weld joint, I did some very precise measurements from the measuring hole to the bolts and then from an upper and lower spot I marked on the old frame front cab mounts.
The bolt hole i drilled in the middle of the frame sections overlap was only a few inches from the measuring hole on the rear side and the cab mounts on the front side and this section I was working in had no damage.
After cutting the front damaged section off and removing the short piece of it remaining inside the rear frame I moved my new front frame section in place inside the rear section. I had set up my rear frame section with a level plus measured it from the floor to get height of frame bottoms equal on both sides, then slid the front section inside the rear section.
The front section I kept level and the same distance off the floor to keep it level, then lined up the 2 frame sections at the welds with those measurements I had from the 4 3/8 bolts holes drilled. Once I had it lined up the best I could, I used my 3/8 bolt holes in the rear frame section to drill through the front frame section. Bolted it all together, remeasured everything a bunch of times, cleaned it all up and got it welded.

I’m retired so lots of time available to do measurements a hundred times or so. After the weld, I figured I was within 1-2 mm of spec.

NSDON

Reaction score

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Once the welds were cut, how much of a pain was it to finagle the old one out and the new one in?

NSDON

Reaction score
Once you ground off some of the welds, you could see where the original edge of the steel was and I cut the weld along that line with a cutting wheel (smoothed off the remaining welds with the grinder after). Surprised how little factory weld was there and it wasn’t that big a job. And I’m very inexperienced.

Once I cut the front off, the weight of the rear bumper and some wood held the frame up high so easy to remove what little weld was on the bottom.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You should come out and do this to my plow truck. Front right wheel is pushed back a couple inches, frame gave way at the back of the control arm. If mine isn't diamonded this would be a feasible repair, albeit a significant one.