1998 K1500 cruise control trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SA_trucker

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here!

I've done some searching through the forum and haven't been able to find my solution. I've got a 1998 K1500 silverado 5.7L V8 350 engine. The cruise control started going intermittent on me a while back, and eventually just quit on me all together. In trying to trouble shoot, I've done a few things.

First thing I did was replace the brake switch. Brake lights were working fine, but I replaced it anyway. Cheap part, so it was something easy to see if that would fix it. No joy.

I read how cruise control is ground through the 3rd brake light (over the cab). I did notice that mine wasnt fully working, and in taking it out/apart, I noticed corrosion on the housing. There aren't really any wires associated with that thing, once the plug goes into the plastic housing, the electrical flow seems to go through metal that is built into the housing. I tried ordering another OEM light off ebay, but that one also had corrosion and wasnt working properly. Right now, I have an aftermarket LED light up there. I've read that its possible these LED lights don't pull enough juice (compared to the OEM light bulbs), so this could still be the issue.

Researching more, I found a video on youtube with a guy testing the leads coming into the CCM. I tested all of these (i believe I did this correctly), and everything SEEMS to be working coming from the actual multi function switch. Everything else with the multi-function switch is working - wipers, hazards, brights, etc.

The wiring from the multifunction switch all appears to be fine. Read some more about how this wiring can break with the tilt column, but nothing appears to be broken.

The torque converter is unlocking properly, tested that one as well.

I'm out of options to try and figure this out. I could try and find another OEM 3rd brake light from a junk yard to see if this would restore it, but I dont know what else to test. Any ideas?

SA_trucker

Reaction score
Ok, another question.

I feel that I've narrowed it down to either being an issue with the 3rd brake light being an LED (if thats actually a problem), or the CCM itself. In trying to search the part number, I keep getting images of the CCM that has this weird "tape" bit that hooks up to something. In reading about trying to solve my issue, I read about this tape being broken on other vehicles so the cruise goes out. Edit: I was not aware that removing the cable plug from the housing, you can visualize this "tape" piece. I did that tonight and it seems to be perfectly intact. So that seems to be crossed off as a potential problem... I've found the CCM on ebay for $45, so i guess I'll pick one up and see if it helps

Last edited:

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to bring up a dead thread, but I'm having this exact issue..
When we first got the Suburban 2 weeks ago CC worked fine.
On trip to PA (~500 miles) it mostly worked most of the time, but would go out on large bumps or steep hills.
Toward the end of the trip it stopped responding altogether.
On the way home it worked perfectly until the last 30 min or so when it stopped altogether.
Today on the way to work it worked perfectly.
On the way home it didn't work at all.

Everything else on the multifunction works perfectly.
I think brake lights work fine.

CC module seems to be all that's left. Any ideas?

IADC43

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good info. Some strong language the the fragile may not want to hear

GM350

Reaction score
Digging up this old thread but I have to ask, this seems like a common problem so why isn’t the ccm a reproduction item or is it? All I’m able to find are used ones which are likely to be no good either. I checked all electrical with mine and everything checks out so I guess I’m scouring the junk yards

SA_trucker

Reaction score
GM350, can’t answer your question but I’ve given up on mine. I’ll go back and watch these videos but I haven’t had working cruise control in years, it stinks but I’ve just lived with it :/

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
GM350, can’t answer your question but I’ve given up on mine. I’ll go back and watch these videos but I haven’t had working cruise control in years, it stinks but I’ve just lived with it :/

Did you ever change out the module?

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
What about the switch Itself. Mine was broke for years on my 92. Didn’t really need it. and started having issues with the wipers so once I replaced the switch on the column I gained wipers back plus my CC

SA_trucker

Reaction score
I haven't had any other issues with the switch itself, BUT I've suspected that may be the issue for years. I have been kind of avoiding it because I haven't really had the money to "troubleshoot by part replacement" for a while but I'm getting to where I may just have that part swapped out and see what happens.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On my 88 the switch did the trick. I just troubleshot my 98 to a faulty brake switch tonight after cracking open the CC module itself to have it look perfect inside.