1998 gmc c1500 rear end options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timb24

Reaction score
Hey all I have a 1998 gmc c1500 with the 350 5.7, I am currently doing an 4-6 belltech lowering kit and down the road im swapping my motor and planning on making around 400-450 hp to the wheels. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on upgrading the rear end I have an gu6 10 bolt at the moment. I wanted to either build mine or do an axel swap so I was going to see if anyone on here built theirs or had experience swapping their rear end. Thank you anyways.

Reaction score
Hey all I have a 1998 gmc c1500 with the 350 5.7, I am currently doing an 4-6 belltech lowering kit and down the road im swapping my motor and planning on making around 400-450 hp to the wheels. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on upgrading the rear end I have an gu6 10 bolt at the moment. I wanted to either build mine or do an axel swap so I was going to see if anyone on here built theirs or had experience swapping their rear end. Thank you anyways.

Just browsing and saw there were no replies to this. 400-450 RWP is a pretty stout small block unless you are using boost. A well built NA 350 will probably net you 300-350 at the wheels. Honestly, with a NA 5.7 in a truck I would not worry about it. Unless you plan on hitting the drag strip with some good drag radials or slicks. Without the traction, you will spin the tires long before breaking the rearend. Plus, you didn't mention you have the G80 locker, so you've likely got a one wheel wonder. If you are going to change gears or upgrade to a posi, I would definitely go with a TruTrac. They are pretty much bullet proof and have good road manners. Depending on if it is a daily driver or not, and your tire size, I would go with a 3.73 or 4.10 gear.
If you do have boost, or are swapping in a big block, and intend to hit the track, I would recommend an aftermarket 9". Again with Trutrac and 3.73 or 4.10 gear.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Just browsing and saw there were no replies to this. 400-450 RWP is a pretty stout small block unless you are using boost. A well built NA 350 will probably net you 300-350 at the wheels. Honestly, with a NA 5.7 in a truck I would not worry about it. Unless you plan on hitting the drag strip with some good drag radials or slicks. Without the traction, you will spin the tires long before breaking the rearend. Plus, you didn't mention you have the G80 locker, so you've likely got a one wheel wonder. If you are going to change gears or upgrade to a posi, I would definitely go with a TruTrac. They are pretty much bullet proof and have good road manners. Depending on if it is a daily driver or not, and your tire size, I would go with a 3.73 or 4.10 gear.
If you do have boost, or are swapping in a big block, and intend to hit the track, I would recommend an aftermarket 9". Again with Trutrac and 3.73 or 4.10 gear.
+1 :Whoa::lol:What he said!

But if it wheel hops (axle tramp harmonics in GM speak) it will kersplode whatever axle you choose!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well for a while a good upgrade was the 14 bolt 9.5 , 6 lug thats in my '95 k2500. Thats a little stronger. And sources for perf guts around. I plan on seeing how it fit one in Tahoe wife used to drive.

Reaction score
Well for a while a good upgrade was the 14 bolt 9.5 , 6 lug thats in my '95 k2500. Thats a little stronger. And sources for perf guts around. I plan on seeing how it fit one in Tahoe wife used to drive.

Forgot they had 6 lug 14 bolts. I would imagine it has larger tubes, so grab the plates and u-bolts. U-joint is probably larger too, so driveshaft mod. Good thing is it seems like almost all 14 bolts have the G80 locker and 3.73 or 4.10 gear. So that would be a relatively inexpensive, albeit heavy, upgrade for the 10 bolt.