1998 6.5 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure it’s the direct clutch that let go in the trans... have no reverse 3rd and 4 th now!
Time to pick up the different trans after my nights!

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If all you're looking to do is getting it back on the road and not an extensive overhaul you could consider just replacing the clutches and gaskets.

I used the manual found here:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/686044-4l80e-rebuild-manual-link.html

It's pretty step by step, with not really any special tools required.

Basic Overhaul kits are in the $200+ range.

wow thats some awesome content. ive thought about rebuilding my original one and then have a spare or sell it, but thats a really build thread

in other news i was able to limp it home, for some reason i can get reverse (just barely) in 4lo so i backed out from work like that, still does obviously slip hard inreverse though

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At least only one needs to be plugged in.... glow plugs are gunna have to get done soon. Trans swap will hopefully begin today

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I remember changing trannies in the snow. Not my fondest of memories back home.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
picked up trans and painted it... little dissapointed its covered in mud and on closer inspection its got fluid in the harness....... ugh......

it got a fresh coat of harvester red anyway though

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember changing trannies in the snow. Not my fondest of memories back home.

im lucky enough my house has a 1.5 car garage thats all finished and i just use a mr heater propane one and heats up really quick. but truck is going to a friends shop where hes got a lift to do the dirty work for me. if it was summer then id consider it on my garage floor

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My garage is too small for the dually. The 1500 fits like 10# of shjt in a 5# bag. You gonna replace that harness? When I did mine, I potted the back side with grey silicone before install.