1998 2 door tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad and I use 1 of 2 metal bars when holding the transmission up.
1) Tie rod off a K20
2) Old railroad timber bar or a point bar sometimes called

Then we put 2 punches in the bell housing holes. Never an issue and we move them around pretty often when doing an engine-out job.

Just make sure the punches aren’t the ones you use the most often! Otherwise you’ll think they’re lost and find them when you take them out of the bellhousing :Big Laugh:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Just make sure the punches aren’t the ones you use the most often! Otherwise you’ll think they’re lost and find them when you take them out of the bellhousing :Big Laugh:

I do that kind of thing all the time. Usually it's a container or tray. I'll want to use it for something, and can't find it, only to finally realize it's full of crap from the last time I needed it.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: a comment from facebook informed me that I may have an 8 lug axle, which is also narrower the 6 lug, this is something i did not consider. i was almost certain this came from a 6 lug though

I feel I have been bamboozled. When I went junkyard searching for a 14b SF axle, I knew one of the most important things was I needed to get it from a 4x4. the truck I pulled it from was a 99 k2500, I verified it was 4x4 due to the fact it had a 9.25 front diff which I had contemplated taking as well until I found out it is not a direct bolt in swap. It was just the axle housing so I need to buy new axle shafts, the yukon shafts below is what I bought ( I would not buy from them at those prices, way cheaper elsewhere online).

they finally arrived the other day and when I went to test fit things together, the axle shaft bearing surface was poking out past the seal quite a bit at least 2 inches it seemed. I knew something was up, I tried referencing videos an pictures on the web and found nothing that looked like this. I mocked up the disk drum and it was at least an inch away from the backing plate.

I measured spring perch distance, it was about 47", about the same distance on my 4x4 tahoe. tip to tip of the 14 bolt axle I have is roughly 63", hard to get accurate measurement with the backing plate on one side. one side of my brain is telling me you have a 4x2 axle and those are 4x4 shafts, the other side is telling me I know I got this out of a 4x4 truck something is wrong about the axles.

Either way its going to be a mistake that is going to cost several hundred dollars to fix. hoping its the axles as that is just money vs the time and money of finding a new housing, getting it blasted and coated and buying a new bearings and races( not sure if they should be reused once that have been pushed in even though they are new

I did find this axle when i searched replacement parts for 99-00 carryover model, this is clearly labeled for a c2500 though. If this shaft does fit and I do indeed have a 4x2 axle, would a wider rear wheel and tire make up for the shorter axle width
009Shaft, r/axl(6 lug)C2 **9.50 RING GEAR SAGINAW-AMERICAN**,7200 LB GVWR(C5Z),VACUUM PWR BRK SYS(JB6),HYD PWR DISC/DRUM BRK(JD6)0215522068--

and on a final note, it looks like I will either have 2 brand new axle shafts for sale or a fully prepped 4x2 axle housing for sale, has new bearings, seals, races, new vent stem, and blasted and powder coated

Last edited:

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i guess call me A-A Ron from now on, cuz i done messed up. the short 6 lug axles are discontinued. looks like im on the hunt for a new axle.

my only other option would be try and sell the axle shafts and get 8 lug short shafts, but that would mean buying new rotors, pads, calipers, and 2 new rear wheels.

i guess ill be trying to sell the 2wd or 8 lug axle soon, not really sure which it is at this point. being lime green it may take a while to find a buyer
You must be registered for see images attach

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I reuse all the new bearings and races i installed from the axle, i should be able to limit my losses to just buying a new axle and seals, if i wanted it green again it would cost an extra $200 to order the powder color. probably will just group it in with my next batch of black.