1997 Single cab Dually welding rig SAS questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dthreat

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm Dustin. I've been a member for a while but never posted. I'm a pipeline rig welder. I just picked up a 97 one ton drw. It's a 2 wd 350\5 speed. I'm thinking of going straight axle on it. I've seen the kits for a leaf spring front end. So what axle should I look for, and can I put a transfer case on the 5 speed or would I need a trans and tcase? If so I may switch to auto. Also I'm gonna refresh the interior and maybe a 454 swap and such so as I get started I'll do a build thread. But for now I'm going to start collecting parts.

Thanks

Dthreat

Reaction score
Well now I'm looking and seeing that you can keep the coils. That would be pretty awesome. All advice is appreciated.

Thanks again

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well now I'm looking and seeing that you can keep the coils. That would be pretty awesome. All advice is appreciated.

Thanks again

Keep the 2wd front coils? I don't think that will be possible.

ORU sells a kit for GMT400 K1500/2500/3500. There are options for Dana 60, Dana 44, 10 bolt and a custom Dana 60 made by ORU. Also, there are 2 leaf spring options:
https://offroadunlimited.com/oru-br...0-2500-3500-ifs-to-solid-axle-conversion.html

They also sell a 2WD to Solid Axle, but that says it's jut for C1500s?

https://offroadunlimited.com/oru-br...98-1500-2wd-to-4wd-solid-axle-conversion.html

Might want to call the guys and ask. Can't remember off the top of my head differences between the 1500 vs 2500/3500 for a SAS. There's guys here that have some SAS, so they might chime in.

Dthreat

Reaction score
Thanks man. I wasn't saying keep the 2we coils themselves but a coil style front end. I'll look into the links you sent and give those guys a call.

Thanks again