1997 RCSB build on 4dr tahoe frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Posting a thread about my new build. I picked up a 1997 short bed fleetside single cab from a local dealer in a private sale. It looked pretty decent for a vermont truck though I didn't get a good look underneath. Well when I got it home and got a long look at the frame everywhere I didn't get a good look at due to snow etc was not good.

So I am in the process of frame swapping it with my 1999 4 door tahoe frame which is in better shape. Though the salt takes a toll on these trucks.

Will post up pics soon of the transformation. Planning on rear 2dr tahoe tank and filler relocation. Running all new lines and moving everything from the truck over short of the axles.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I went to look at it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Blew a brake line after I drove it home. Even though the owner said he kept up with them. uh huh. Mastercool to the rescue. This kit is worth every penny especially in the NE.

Rockers are shot. Replaced one side inner and outer. Went to put the cab corners that the previous owner included in the sale only to find out they are squarebody ones.

Starting the teardown of the tahoe.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little dude removing the cab from the tahoe frame.

B2650 pulling the 5.3 Nv3500 and transfer case out at once. Really impressed with this little tractor.

We got the pressure washer out because it reached a balmy 37 and were able to get some of the grime and dirt off the frame.

Need to strip the frame further and fix any spots that need fixing. Will hit it with chassis saver. I want to do a drop on this so may notch it before I put the bed on. But pulling a bed is much easier than pulling a tahoe body. I have next week off so hoping to get most of the frame swap done by then.

Last edited:

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what was wrong w/ the Tahoe?

keep the progress coming

Rusty, could be saved but just an accumulation of body rust repair and a million other issues. I built it up kinda half assed and It needed a good go through. If I had a lift it would have been easier to pull the body and get to the areas that needed work. I could have brought it back but it would be easier to start with a better body if I wanted to keep a tahoe. I bought it for $500 so didn't have much into it. With a truck it is way easier for me to to repair by pulling bed cab separate. I can do this with the tractor and they are easier to manage.

I took the tahoe cross country two years ago and learned a lot about what I want in an expo style truck. Looking for a crew cab 1 ton next. I wasn't totally enamored by the tahoe as I thought I would be.

Going to hammer on it this week. I got a 2dr tahoe tank for it from amazon for $30 with some cosmetic imperfections. Will start working on the mounts etc tonight.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are the 4 door Tahoe and rcsb frames the same? I would have expected them to be different

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rusty, could be saved but just an accumulation of body rust repair and a million other issues. I built it up kinda half assed and It needed a good go through. If I had a lift it would have been easier to pull the body and get to the areas that needed work. I could have brought it back but it would be easier to start with a better body if I wanted to keep a tahoe. I bought it for $500 so didn't have much into it. With a truck it is way easier for me to to repair by pulling bed cab separate. I can do this with the tractor and they are easier to manage.

I took the tahoe cross country two years ago and learned a lot about what I want in an expo style truck. Looking for a crew cab 1 ton next. I wasn't totally enamored by the tahoe as I thought I would be.

Going to hammer on it this week. I got a 2dr tahoe tank for it from amazon for $30 with some cosmetic imperfections. Will start working on the mounts etc tonight.

Gotcha, in the pic it looked solid & already an engine swap, that's why I asked

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the 4 door Tahoe and rcsb frames the same? I would have expected them to be different

Same up front. Frame stays low instead of kicking up after the cab. Rear springs are shorter in length. I will need to fab bed mounts. Wheel base is the same. Crossmembers are different.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha, in the pic it looked solid & already an engine swap, that's why I asked

Yeah I swapped it to a 5.3 but the integration wasn't all that great. I will probably put it in the truck at some point but will do a 411 swap and try to keep as much of the wiring intact. I did the tahoe using the 5.3 harness and I think a 411 using the vortec harness may be closer to stock.