1997 RCSB build on 4dr tahoe frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I vote you run dual tanks.

Its a possibility. Not sure what I am doing with this truck yet if i dont lower it i may put another tank in there. But this thing won’t be a long trip truck.

I have too many irons in the fire. Working on restoring my dads k30 dually as well. Running a rear tank in that as well. That will be my tow pig.

You must be registered for see images attach

I will start on an expo replacement for the tahoe this summer. I want to do a crew cab 3500 with a short custom utilty style bed.

Last edited:

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some work done yesterday but not a ton. Got the bed flipped over and removed center bed support. It is pretty easy when it is badly rusted. I was going to try to keep some sections And work around the frame crossmembers but it was just way easier to replace it with some 3/16” flat giving limited support. I also started clumsily fixing rust holes in the other bed supports. I will go back and replace all the bed supports at some point or probably find a nicer bed. Once i get the rust patching done i am going to flip it and check fit. And figure out bed mounts. This should get the bed sitting close to stock truck height.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have you considered welding some square tube to that flat in areas where it won't interfere with the frame?

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you considered welding some square tube to that flat in areas where it won't interfere with the frame?

Yes. But i will probably put another support towards the front where the tahoe body mount is. Though i think this strip will be supported by the frame and xmember so i dont think it will be an issue.

Plus this is pretty beefy in its current form. I really dont think there will be an issue.

Last edited:

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a bit of work done this weekend. Made the front bed mounts. Tacked them to the frame. Bed support is hitting the gas tank so will need to clearance that a little bit. I don’t think i want to drop the tank.

Did some rust and collision repair. Previous owner had hit a tree backing up and messed up the rear corner. It was all rusted to crap anyway. Cut it off when i got the repair panel.

Front mounts maybe a little low but i am going to have to wait for the cab to make sure where everything is going to line up.

Filler door

Buh bye

Last edited:

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New home in the back.

Old corner all screwed up.

Filler door in place.

Filler door patch.

Also did the wheel arch because it was rotty need to do the inner fender and some bed spots and i think it will be pretty much done. Not a body man by any strech but this should be ok with some bondo.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Side shot of the bed with epoxy primer. Need to get filler on it and paint it. Going to start test fitting an engine/trans in the frame so i can modify the exhaust to fit the longtubes. The exhaust in the frame now is made for a 5.3 with stock manifolds. After that I will start transfering the engine and cab off the truck.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some bondo on the old gas filler location.Need to build it up a little more.

Also found out the longtubes I have want to occupy the same spot as the front diff.

Not sure what i was thinking but will go back to stock manifolds i guess this was just a mockup engine and tranny to see if the exhaust would work before I swapped over the vortec. I guess I was thinking I would use these longtubes on a c1500 or I just screwed up lol. I may be able to cut them to fit but not sure I want to take the time right now.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice progress! Really enjoying seeing you make progress on this build! :)

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice progress! Really enjoying seeing you make progress on this build! :)

thanks, I am trying to hammer this out as fast as I can in my spare time which I don't have much of. Hopefully I will get a lot done this weekend.