1997 One piece 4l60e 4x4 tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
JW transmissions only lists bell housings for 350, 400 and 700R4 in GM tranys. So,, If someone has a listing for a 4l60E post it up.

Turnerjcaleb411

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GMT400 Facebook group isn't always the best place to look for accurate information. There are a few people on there who give good advice, but for every one of them there are 1000 more who have no idea what they're talking about. With 40K+ members, you have to wade through a lot of memes and misinformation to find anything of value. A place like this forum where you have to put in a little bit of effort to join as opposed to just clicking a follow button from an account you already have is more likely to have a better signal to noise ratio.

I'm not saying with 100% certainty that a kit like you're describing for a 4L60E doesn't exist, but I've never seen one. The only time I've seen someone cut the bellhousing off of a one piece transmission was to fit it to an engine it was never designed for with the help of an adapter kit. IMO what you're trying to do sounds like more work/time and possibly money than just going to the junkyard and grabbing another 4L60E whole.

Yah your probably right but anyways isn’t the 97 a stand alone year transmission or will 97-99 transmission work?? My truck has a 5.7L
I don’t think 93-97 transmission will work cause the OBD ports are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yah your probably right but anyways isn’t the 97 a stand alone year transmission or will 97-99 transmission work?? My truck has a 5.7L
I don’t think 93-97 transmission will work cause the OBD ports are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe a 60E from a '96 or '97 GMT400 will work, but don't quote me on that. I swapped to a 4L80E after I blew up the second 4L60E in my red '97 so I didn't do much research on 60E compatibility. Car-Part.com shows results from '96 and '97 when you search for a 4X4 60E for a '97 K1500.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97-99 are a direct swap. I took one from a 99 Tahoe and put it in a 97 Z71 last November. A 96 will work but you have to swap the internal harness because in 97 GM added a ground wire in the harness.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, those differences are at the back of the trans, what about the bell housing? Isn't that all you want to swap?

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
OK, those differences are at the back of the trans, what about the bell housing? Isn't that all you want to swap?

I don't want to swap anything. I am just curious . These kids these days post all kinds of information that they heard about on the internet and the info doesn't have any real substance.
As far as I can tell, 2 of the bell housings have the same bolt pattern and the same out put housing bolt pattern. The last version has a extra bolt hole but still bolt to the back of a SBC. There are 3 different cases 1 is a one piece case and the other 2 are two piece cases and they are not interchangeable as far as I know.

NickG80

Reaction score
A 700 and a 4l60e are basically the same except electronics and valve bodies. Many intervals are the same, minus input splines and other things they have beefed up over the years. my question with a bolt on bell housing is: How do you make sure the pump is centered with the crankshaft so you don’t get vibrations, smoke a pump or converter for that matter?