1997 One piece 4l60e 4x4 tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turnerjcaleb411

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a one piece 4l60e 4x4 tranny on my 97 extended cab short bed Silverado, an well the bell housing is cracked. I was wondering if I could cut the bell housing an buy aftermarket if that would work, or have it welded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a one piece 4l60e 4x4 tranny on my 97 extended cab short bed Silverado, an well the bell housing is cracked. I was wondering if I could cut the bell housing an buy aftermarket if that would work, or have it welded.

Cutting it off won't work any better than drilling the ends of the cracks and properly welding it. Without seeing it, it is just speculation if it will work.

Turnerjcaleb411

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting it off won't work any better than drilling the ends of the cracks and properly welding it. Without seeing it, it is just speculation if it will work.

Well they do make aftermarket bell housing that I can cut off an bolt to inside the transmission on the pump.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both of those are listed to fit a th350/400. I don't know what the difference between those and a 4l60e are. You might want to look into that some more or maybe someone else can give better input on the differences.

Turnerjcaleb411

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both of those are listed to fit a th350/400. I don't know what the difference between those and a 4l60e are. You might want to look into that some more or maybe someone else can give better input on the differences.

Well multiple people told me on the Facebook gmt400 group that they do make or have a kit like this but I haven’t found it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well multiple people told me on the Facebook gmt400 group that they do make or have a kit like this but I haven’t found it.

The GMT400 Facebook group isn't always the best place to look for accurate information. There are a few people on there who give good advice, but for every one of them there are 1000 more who have no idea what they're talking about. With 40K+ members, you have to wade through a lot of memes and misinformation to find anything of value. A place like this forum where you have to put in a little bit of effort to join as opposed to just clicking a follow button from an account you already have is more likely to have a better signal to noise ratio.

I'm not saying with 100% certainty that a kit like you're describing for a 4L60E doesn't exist, but I've never seen one. The only time I've seen someone cut the bellhousing off of a one piece transmission was to fit it to an engine it was never designed for with the help of an adapter kit. IMO what you're trying to do sounds like more work/time and possibly money than just going to the junkyard and grabbing another 4L60E whole.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
They do make bellhousing for these, but they will require expensive machine work to the case. You are better off buying a different trans.