1997 K2500 Which Blower Motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Yeah, me again. My blower motor is starting to make some noise sometimes - immediately after start-up when left on Low and a couple of days ago it got quite loud after hitting a harsh bump. After start-up the noise goes away after a few seconds, but after the bump induced one I turned the speed up to max and back down to Low to resolve it.

To me that is a standard case of replacing the 24 year old blower motor to fix it right. My question is how do I know if I need the single terminal or, presumably, there are also some with more than 1 terminal. Rock Auto also refers to them as 1st design and 2nd design. Their pictures only show a single terminal on both designs. One choice actually shows a ground wire attached at or beside the base of the single terminal.

The videos showing the replacement process show the ground terminal as a spade terminal on one of the mounting bolts rather than on the motor itself.

Thanks,
Glenn

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fan is really easy to pull. I'd start by pulling the fan out and inspecting it. If there isn't any trash in it, look at the fan cage itself. Has it been rubbing? Does it wobble?

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fan is really easy to pull. I'd start by pulling the fan out and inspecting it. If there isn't any trash in it, look at the fan cage itself. Has it been rubbing? Does it wobble?

Thanks Erik. Yeah, I could pull it for a look. It just happened to my Maxima, too. The shaft or bushing wears enough to let it go off-center or wobble after a big bump. The motor's cheap enough at about $40ish that I don't mind just putting in a new one.

All that said, I turned off the fan motor before starting the truck today and I still got the noise for a second or so at start-up, so that must be a belt idler pulley or something. Great. She's getting a lot of $$$ love this year.

Cheers,
Glenn

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never seen the blower motors listed that way. I have a positive spade terminal and a negative spade terminal that is screwed onto the case. The positive side has a plastic hood on it from the factory, but it's just spade inside, and I've replaced it because the OEM connector loosens up and causes a high resistance connection that ends up overloading.

My truck is a 99, so it's possible the earlier trucks were different, but I've never seen anyone mention it.

Edit: I just checked Rockauto for my truck and many of them are marked "single spade".... no 1st or 2nd design, Though. I buy the 4seasons, as they're made in Canada and seem to be well made. I'm on my 2nd replacement. I bought a TYC once, but returned it as it was out of balance. That was disappointing since I've been quite happy with the TYC radiator in my truck.

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
My 97 had the "2nd Design", noted by its part number 52476834. I don't know what the differences are but I replaced with the "2nd Design" Four Seasons 35282 blower and it works.... lol

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My 97 had the "2nd Design", noted by its part number 52476834. I don't know what the differences are but I replaced with the "2nd Design" Four Seasons 35282 blower and it works.... lol

That's the same number listed for my truck, so I guess I have the 2nd design. It's just not labeled that way..... I assume it was the only design by the time my truck was built.

Looking at the pictures on Rockauto under 97, I'm not seeing a lot of difference. The pictures are clocked differently, Though.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you guys! I bet they are interchangeable apart from maybe the 1st design having a ground wire attached or something. I'll have a look at mine to be sure. It's just a matter of pulling out the glove box, anyway, I guess.

Ha! The leaky cowl screw syndrome. I had that. I was convinced it was the windshield leaking. That was a couple of years ago. Then I discovered a cowl screw missing - one that threads into a hole in the top of the heater box. Unbelievable design. I put a screw in it and siliconed over the screw head. That fixed it. Now though the windshield is letting water in above the steering wheel like someone opens a tap. I suspect there shouldn't be a 1/4" gap between the top of the windshield and the roof.

Cheers,
Glenn

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled mine to replace it a while back and I have a blower motor with two terminals. The replacement I had bought only had one and I was in a hurry, so I just put the original back in. It's still making noise though, so I need to swap it out.

How do I wire a one terminal fan in? Where do I attach the ground (or is it even needed)?

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled mine to replace it a while back and I have a blower motor with two terminals. The replacement I had bought only had one and I was in a hurry, so I just put the original back in. It's still making noise though, so I need to swap it out.

How do I wire a one terminal fan in? Where do I attach the ground (or is it even needed)?

What year is your truck? Curious if there is a changeover year to the single terminal ones.