1997 K2500 Suburban Cummins Install/Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am beginning to regret the diamond block 6.5TD. When I see your mileage I will know than!

I will know how much I hate you! Lol.

Saturday I get the 3.73's instead of 4.56's so at least I can compare mileage a bit better

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wondering if there is anyone in the area that has done the Cummins swap, maybe has some Cummins parts laying around...
I'm in the SE Michigan area, specifically Monroe, MI.
Send me a message, I'd like to hear from you. Maybe we can exchange ideas, maybe you bought parts you don't need? Perhaps you know a place that keeps common upgrade parts in stock.
I'm thinking I might like to do the "366" 3200RPM Gov Spring right a way, like this week... before the big drive out west.
I still have aspirations that this swap will be done (enough) in time for the trip.

Smitty

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well there goes leaving her stock! I knew that wouldn't last
LOL, well, it needs to rev up just a little more :p
I just finished up the exhaust, and have a few more important things to do before the trip... So it's possible it will still be stock for the trip.

Time left before the trip beat out money for the exhaust I wanted to put on the Suburban. The factory 2.5" tailpipe will have to do for now, and I went with a Walker 3" in/out welded muffler and some good 3" pipe I massaged into place.
Call it hillbilly if you like, it won't bother me.
Here's some pics, and a video:
You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Prior owner put. A 4" straight pipe under my truck. I don't know how he got a straight damn bear 10' chunk of straight pipe but he did. No offsets or bend! Than to a 4" tail pipe section. I like red neck engineering. It is friggin amazing

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The maiden voyage was overall a success.
My timeline for this swap was originally based on selling off some of my old "stuff" and buying what I needed to continue the project. The need for using the vehicle to move my mom back from AZ took precedence, and I spent a little more out of pocket then I intended (I'll have to reimburse myself later :p). It also meant not having a few things completely finished before the trip, and a compromise on somethings just so it can be used at the time.

Here's what it looked like for our departure:

It made the 4078 mile round trip, I'm very thankful for that! That also means, I am basically done with the swap, it's all just fine tuning a few things.
The A/C is just hot wired to a toggle switch on the dash, as is the cooling fan I picked up from a junk yard. It isn't a great fit, but it seems to do the job pretty well, just looked cobbled...
I need to address my accessory belt routing, I either have a slight misalignment, not enough belt wrap around the A/C compressor, or I need to just make the tensionor have more tension. I could tell within the first few hundred miles I had a considerable amount of black dust appearing all around the front of the engine and on the accessories. By the time we returned home, the grooves are worn very deep.

The performance was exactly what you would expect from a 1992 tuned engine. I think the speed limit on the expressways was 55/65 mph... But I pushed it right to the modern speed limits of 70 and 75 mph.

The only thing that failed on the trip, was the two carry over Dodge components. Both the TPS and Crank Sensor quit after about the first 500 miles. This meant that I no longer had Torque Converter Lock-up, and my US Shift Quick 4 went into a "limp mode."
Under these conditions, the best fuel economy I found was 19 mpg, which is 5 greater then the best I ever achieved with my 1996 454 Suburban.
We towed the Uhaul trailer back, and went on a beautiful scenic route through the Rockies climbing to 10,000 feet... and we still got 13 mpg! We were moving very slow up those inclines, sometimes 13% inclines, but it pulled right along.

While at my moms in AZ, I went looking for both the Dodge parts that had failed. The only TPS I found they wanted $280-300 for. I wasn't ready to spend that on it... figured I'd limp it home and try retrofitting some other TPS on it. The only Crank Sensor in the area was at an O'rielly's, it clearly had been bolted onto something once before, I mentioned it before walking out of the store, and even had them make note of it on my receipt. Just as I suspected... the part was not good.
I have thought about just getting the crank signal from another source, haven't tried a good sensor since we've been home...
Amazingly thought! Last night I did a google search from the TPS and found one from carparts.com for $25!
We're going to see how that works.

I have the 366 gov. spring to install, and tune up the pump, but I'd like to get the TPS and Tach working again before I tear open the pump.

Thanks for taking a look at my post, I'll update as the refinements come!
Smitty