1997 K2500 Suburban Cummins Install/Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More UPDATES!
I have my Alternator bracket fab-ed up, and installed.
You must be registered for see images attach

I sourced some more Junk Yard parts also. I found a diesel Suburban in the local yard, I'm going to see if I can use the GM air filter box, and I was able to get the Left to Right battery cable off of that Suburban too.

Also received the Tach Adapter and the US Shift Quick 4 Trans Controller! When I purchased this Cummins, it still had the wire harness. It looks like I should be able to use the factory 92 Dodge TPS for the Trans Controller, and I'm hoping I can use the Crank Position Sensor for the Dakota Tach Adapter.

Spent a few minutes sorting out the wiring on the truck last night, I need to cut down on the amount of now unused wires. It's a bit tedious, I feel like just cutting it all out and starting over. At the same time, I really don't want to get to a point where I cut a wire I shouldn't have.
The original wire harness running down to the trans is obviously in the way though.

Smitty

Last edited:

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a manual to auto swap in a Toyota xrunner I owned. I modified to factory dash harness. 153 wires in the loom. Short end of the story tho I purchased a auto harness and that was way easier to start on

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time for another up date...
Believe it or not, my goal is to take this on a cross country trek at the end of this month (July), from MI to AZ.

I still have several loose ends to tie up, and I need to get some drive time on the Suburban to make sure there are no maintenance items that need to be addressed before a road trip.

Before doing the engine swap, I had only driven this Suburban in the parking lot, from the transport truck to the hoist where I removed the engine. The rod knock was too bad for a test drive it to check it out for things like steering, wheel bearings, trans shifting, and quality of the brakes.

Some of the things that are not done:
Air filter assembly, A/C lines, A/C wiring, Left over ECM wiring/make sure all the grounds are connected, Exhaust is currently only a down pipe, Headlight/Marker light fitment, Speedometer wire from US Shift module to cluster, Rework Battery tray support brackets, Purchase/Install (more wiring) Electric Cooling fans. Also, I'm still running the Original front driveshaft... I don't know how much engagement is left in the slip yoke after sliding the trans assembly back 2 3/4inch. I may not want to go four wheeling without checking that out and possibly lengthening that shaft...

OK, all that said. Here's a video of the Cummins Suburban running, with only a down pipe for exhaust, and the Inter cooler and cooling system plumbed.
The Tach is functioning in the video, but not calibrated, pay no attention to the fuel gauge.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You do realize AZ is hot as balls this time of year.
YES! The A/C being functional for the trip is Mission: Critical.
This trip isn't just a family outing. We're driving out to pack up my mom from her place she was renting out there, and moving her back home here in MI.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The Cummins sounds great! Love the turbos on those. Really good job on the swap! :waytogo:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well it'd suck to move her to MI in the middle of winter so I'd say you're screwed either way. :D

Reaction score
Been following your thread.Kudos on the cummins install.looks/sounds great...I'm actually looking to join the club. sure I'll be referencing your work and possibly asking a question or two.

(L)5.7 vortec (R) 5.9 cummins

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been following your thread.Kudos on the cummins install.looks/sounds great...I'm actually looking to join the club. sure I'll be referencing your work and possibly asking a question or two.

(L)5.7 vortec (R) 5.9 cummins
You have the Cummins! You're off to a great start.
This afternoon, I've been playing with the US Shift shift points on my set up.
For some reason, the shift points from there file were way off. When I first uploaded the stock file I put the rear tires up off the ground and made sure the trans shifted through the gears. That was a success, so I thought I'd test drive it. The trans would not shift unless I wound the thing up past it making any power and then let off the throttle.
I call for some tech help and they helped me to understand what I was looking at in the graphing, and from there... I just have to make up my own shift points.
It's working out so far. I'll have to make a video of a drive in the Suburban soon, right now, I've just been driving around the complex where I work :p

Supercharged111... you're correct!

and thanks 98Chevy2500SS!