1997 K1500 Speedometer Jumping after 85 MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

First off, I want to say Thank You all for all your support as a new guy on this Forum. I've been trying hard to better myself as a person and really appreciate all the kind folks on here from all around the world. Long live the GMT400 trucks!

Now for the question: I have a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 ECSB with the Vortec 5700. Every time I go on the highway I can only go 85mph. If I push my truck any further the speedometer slams the needle all the way down to the 100mph mark and the truck sounds weird until I back off. It's super scary and I haven't seen anyone answer my question on this forum. Is this a wiring issue with the speedometer? Is this a speed limiter? I'm honestly not sure. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue on their 96+ truck.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is... weird.

These trucks do have a speed limiter that will cut fuel, but normally not until 98MPH.
That's what I was thinking... weird. I've thought about bringing it to a shop, but also it's not that bug of a deal since I don't do a ton of highway driving.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking... weird. I've thought about bringing it to a shop, but also it's not that bug of a deal since I don't do a ton of highway driving.
Well man 85mph isnt necessary on highways any way. Lol. I mean i do it bit thats besides the point lol