1997 gmc k2500 burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decided to post a thread on my 97 burban. Being built as a replacement for one I stupidly sold, the 91 v2500 gmc suburban. Or super burban. Tried to buy it back the same day and then for months on. Finally decided to switch to gmt400 and build one again. Had a 97 c3500 long ago with 7.4 that worked well for me so bbc was a must. Used to have 88 c3500 as well and a tbi 454 definitely worse than the 97. Unfortunately starting with a poor example. Wore out at 240k miles and barn doors. Still miss the 91.

Seller more or less presented burban as generally good to drive. Motor was having a seizure while front wheels try to fall off due to bad everything in the front end.
First couple pictures of the 91.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Nice 400 GMC Burb! Sounds like a good starting point. I used to have a 90 GMC R2500 Burb, that's last square Burb I had and the one I miss. Was a great Burb once I got the front end fixed. Those skinny 16s on that tall truck, it wandered a bit...That's what I bought my PY0s for, then the truck quit before I could get tires on it. I still have the wheels though.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice Suburban, how do you like the barn doors over the tailgate in the '91?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
So far tail gate was better. I had remote open on the rear window. Was easy to just have the window open up to reach in for things. Only bit of downside on the tailgate was that my wife was not able to open it. I did have to fully rebuild and grease the mechanism, but it worked great.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only other pictures I currently have of the 97 are the under the hood. Bought ball joints, upper a arm bushings, wheel bearings, spark plug wires, spark plugs, intake gaskets, new 488ci motor, 4.10 front and rear diffs, borg warner manual shift transfer case, 411 ecu and still need to get a trans rebuild kit. But have not installed any of the parts yet. It was throwing cam sync code when I bought it, adjusted the distributor as much as was physically possible without restabing it. Scan tool shows still off, but was good enough to clear the code. Suspecting a wore out timing chain as well. Compression was reasonable around 130-140. Oil pressure reasonable at 30psi hot idle

Second guessing my self on if I really need 4.10 gears. 91 v2500 felt like it needed them, it was best at 85mph on highway to get motor more in the power band. And then mostly just kept it floored to keep up with hwy traffic. With the big block, might not be an issue.

Still also need to track down a complete set of cloth seats including the 3rd row.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice 400 GMC Burb! Sounds like a good starting point. I used to have a 90 GMC R2500 Burb, that's last square Burb I had and the one I miss. Was a great Burb once I got the front end fixed. Those skinny 16s on that tall truck, it wandered a bit...That's what I bought my PY0s for, then the truck quit before I could get tires on it. I still have the wheels though.
Thanks, the 91 was likely my last long term square. Too upset at my self on selling it. Was always looking for 8.1l van to steal the engine from for it. But sold the thing instead. I was considering changing to r2500 and building a fast big block. Takes too much money to make things fast, especially a burb