1997 gmc k2500 burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, the 91 was likely my last long term square. Too upset at my self on selling it. Was always looking for 8.1l van to steal the engine from for it. But sold the thing instead. I was considering changing to r2500 and building a fast big block. Takes too much money to make things fast, especially a burb
It can be done cheapish...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am starting to dislike the barn doors more, with dogs in the back it was sometimes nice to open the tail gate window. Even the gmt400 tailgate option only halfway accomplishes the task as there is no way to have a remote open on the glass part. But did put the burb in to the garage finally. Need to service the front end and the steering box.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Front end coming along. Ordered new abs sensors as they are a pain to get to and also turned out brake pads were way past due.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was worried aluminium would be too soft to press bushings, but it worked without a problem. Did an oil change as well. Need to rebuild the steering box, hydroboost, engine and transmission next

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
8.0l motor is apart. Stock cam had about 462/465 lift with 1.7 rockers. All of the bearings still looked good. Had moisture surface damage on the heads. If only could find someone willing to pay for the heads, cam and rods/pistons would be nice.

Last edited:

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress looks good so far.
The GMT400 tailgate can only be opened from the dash, the key fob, or turning the key in the tailgate clockwise. It can also be a pain on a lifted Suburban for shorter people to reach into. Though I still love being able to sit on my tailgate.

For what it's worth, I got a rebuilt steering gear from Blue Top with custom needle bearings in the top cap to help keep the sector shaft true. It wasn't too much more than his typical rebuild cost and I figured it would help with my bigger tires. He can also do some custom ratios if he has the appropriate gears in stock.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I like the 4.10s with my 7.4l 'burb. It's also daily driven. I'm on LT265/75R16 rubber, so a touch taller than stock. If you're going to run 285s or a taller tire, I would suggest staying with the 4.10 ratio.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress looks good so far.
The GMT400 tailgate can only be opened from the dash, the key fob, or turning the key in the tailgate clockwise. It can also be a pain on a lifted Suburban for shorter people to reach into. Though I still love being able to sit on my tailgate.

For what it's worth, I got a rebuilt steering gear from Blue Top with custom needle bearings in the top cap to help keep the sector shaft true. It wasn't too much more than his typical rebuild cost and I figured it would help with my bigger tires. He can also do some custom ratios if he has the appropriate gears in stock.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

I was planning to doing the rebuild my self, but interested if there is any more information on the needle bearings that you mention. Currently sector shaft has 1/8 to 1/4" of side to side movement when steering. My last steering box rebuild on a ws6 box for el camino went great, but it was in much better shape to begin with.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just random small things. Found a decent 3rd row, tired but usable sun visors and did the door hinge pins/bushings. Also dropped off the spare block at the machine shop for rotating assembly balance and bore/hone