1997 Black Box to 411…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spun a main bearing in my ‘97 5.7, and I’m trying to decide what I’m gonna go back with, and not wanting to go back with basically what I had…but from what I understand the ‘97 Black Box really limits my options..? So I’m just checking to see if I’m correct in what I’ve concluded from the reading and researching I’ve done… It’s a lil overwhelming trying to go through all the information you can find on forums and internet in general, and then ya end up going down rabbit holes and you don’t even realize it! Lol
You read one thing and peeps will say I can throw a big cam in and a nice set of heads on and not have any problem with the ‘97 Black Box, then the next thing I read will say I can’t really put a cam any bigger than factory with the ‘97 Black Box or I will just be backing up… So which is it?! Lol
Am I correct in thinking/understanding that in order to make any significant upgrades and/or any significant gains in horsepower I basically need/have to do the 411 swap???
I have other questions as well, like what options I have as far as the spider injector, intake manifold, etc, etc…but I feel like I need a starting point…which to me has to be the ‘97’s Lil Black Box since it seems to be in complete control and controlling it seems to be quite limited…

I’m aware I may be totally off base with my understanding or how I’ve interpreted the information I’ve came across, if so then let me know…

Thanks In Advance,
Shane

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spun a main bearing in my ‘97 5.7, and I’m trying to decide what I’m gonna go back with, and not wanting to go back with basically what I had…but from what I understand the ‘97 Black Box really limits my options..? So I’m just checking to see if I’m correct in what I’ve concluded from the reading and researching I’ve done… It’s a lil overwhelming trying to go through all the information you can find on forums and internet in general, and then ya end up going down rabbit holes and you don’t even realize it! Lol
You read one thing and peeps will say I can throw a big cam in and a nice set of heads on and not have any problem with the ‘97 Black Box, then the next thing I read will say I can’t really put a cam any bigger than factory with the ‘97 Black Box or I will just be backing up… So which is it?! Lol
Am I correct in thinking/understanding that in order to make any significant upgrades and/or any significant gains in horsepower I basically need/have to do the 411 swap???
I have other questions as well, like what options I have as far as the spider injector, intake manifold, etc, etc…but I feel like I need a starting point…which to me has to be the ‘97’s Lil Black Box since it seems to be in complete control and controlling it seems to be quite limited…

I’m aware I may be totally off base with my understanding or how I’ve interpreted the information I’ve came across, if so then let me know…

Thanks In Advance,
Shane
Controlling the 97 Black Box is not limited other than the choices of software to do it. The problen with the 96 and 97s are that the mainstream companies do not support them. That being said Jet DST is the only one that does and it is basically TunerCats OBD2 but VIN limited. 97 black box can be tuned as well as any of them, but the newer computers like the 0411 will run better. I went the next step with my 383 with a newer PCM than the 0411s.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Controlling the 97 Black Box is not limited other than the choices of software to do it. The problen with the 96 and 97s are that the mainstream companies do not support them. That being said Jet DST is the only one that does and it is basically TunerCats OBD2 but VIN limited. 97 black box can be tuned as well as any of them, but the newer computers like the 0411 will run better. I went the next step with my 383 with a newer PCM than the 0411s.
So what did you go with, and was the swap basically the same as the 0411 swap???