1996 steering knuckle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattsam433

Reaction score
I have a 1996 k1500 pick up and wondering if anyone knows if a 1995 steering knuckle will fit. They look identical with minor differences. A bolt sheared off in my 96’ knuckle and I can’t get it out. The left knuckle is my 96’ and the knuckle on the right is the 95’. Thanks for any info

Attachments

• 262765A6-EEE2-403A-ACA9-CC5E2B5992A1.jpeg
    262765A6-EEE2-403A-ACA9-CC5E2B5992A1.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 30
  • 00F20E43-0F08-4C72-98B1-6C5E3D8EB77A.jpeg
    00F20E43-0F08-4C72-98B1-6C5E3D8EB77A.jpeg
    644.2 KB · Views: 30

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have every expectation that they're interchangeable. Make sure the ball joint and tie-rod end stud tapers are in good condition.

Any automotive machine shop should be able to remove a broken bolt. When it happens to me, I weld a nut to the broken bolt then turn the nut with a wrench. These are the two exhaust manifold bolts that broke on my Trailblazer 6-popper. The really ugly one had to have weld-metal globbed to the bolt shaft because it broke below-flush. Then the nut got welded to the glob.
You must be registered for see images attach

Or just drill the bolt shaft with the drill bit size correct for tapping the hole to begin with, and pull out the bolt threads like a heli-coil.

Or drill the thing oversize, and shove in a Heli-coil or other thread-repair insert to return to original thread size.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No bolt or machine screw is impossible. Each different scenario requires a different plan of attack. Keep drilling till all that's left are some threads without damaging the base. Drill for easy out type tools. A through hole that can be attacked from back side. Heat wrench, lay on arge fender washer, small tack, then place nut on top weld center to broke bolt, fender washer protects base material. Apply heat to base when using easy outs. Machine shop ESD metal removal. Good luck.

Mattsam433

Reaction score
No bolt or machine screw is impossible. Each different scenario requires a different plan of attack. Keep drilling till all that's left are some threads without damaging the base. Drill for easy out type tools. A through hole that can be attacked from back side. Heat wrench, lay on arge fender washer, small tack, then place nut on top weld center to broke bolt, fender washer protects base material. Apply heat to base when using easy outs. Machine shop ESD metal removal. Good luck.
I understand it’s not impossible to get out or drill out. I’m asking about the fitment of the 95’ knuckle. I don’t have that tooling in my garage to do that and also if it’s worth it to pay a shop to do it if I have a knuckle already.

Mattsam433

Reaction score
I have every expectation that they're interchangeable. Make sure the ball joint and tie-rod end stud tapers are in good condition.

Any automotive machine shop should be able to remove a broken bolt. When it happens to me, I weld a nut to the broken bolt then turn the nut with a wrench. These are the two exhaust manifold bolts that broke on my Trailblazer 6-popper. The really ugly one had to have weld-metal globbed to the bolt shaft because it broke below-flush. Then the nut got welded to the glob.
You must be registered for see images attach

Or just drill the bolt shaft with the drill bit size correct for tapping the hole to begin with, and pull out the bolt threads like a heli-coil.

Or drill the thing oversize, and shove in a Heli-coil or other thread-repair insert to return to original thread size.
Thanks for the help! I welded on a bolt to the stripped heads to get them out but the last one of course sheared off in the threaded hole. So I drilled a hole through the bolt but now I need to either oversized the hole and tap it, or helicoil, or possibly a through bolt if the head won’t come in contact with anything. But if the ‘95 knuckle works why even bother.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clean them up. Place them side by side, start measuring the distances, and locations. You can check the parts book, same bearings, same seals, fits year XX to year XX. There both same model series Chevy K1500- GMC K1500. Year series 88 thru 99-00. Four wheel anti skid ? Not sure.
The surface finish texture, whoops and dips, is from different suppliers, forging dies. All other the same send it.
Good luck.