1996 K2500 8 Lug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vorhizzle

Reaction score
It's gotten to a point where my Jeep is doing trails that warrant me getting a tow rig and a trailer, I've been looking for a diesel but i just can't stomach the price for a 25 year old truck.

My dad got this k2500 HD from the GM school (Dad worked for GM for 25 years) in 96. He also converted it to propane and ran it with dual fuel for about 100k miles. The motor looks brand new on the inside.

I have towed the wife's Jeep once when it was an emergency. (picture below)

You must be registered for see images attach

My dad told me he would sell me the truck for 2500 dollars. (140k miles on it)

I've been lurking here for a while and couldn't find any definitive answers for some questions I have.

I will be driving this to the trail head with a trailer probably 2 to 3 times a month. I am looking at a 7k rated trailer from my work (16 footer) and probably will never go faster than 55 miles an hour. My jeep weighs about 3600.

Should I just keep the factory tire size or is there a better size to keep me in the best RPM range for the 5.7/4l80e?

Which suspension components should I address immediately on this truck? I am a mechanic and will be able to do it all myself.

Also, i was trying to find some part numbers for brake upgrades.. A link to that would be great.

Been lurking here for a long time and finally signed up tonight. Love the website

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the motor is stock, I would stick with the stock 245 tire size. Tow in 3rd, letting the 5.7 turn some rpms. It'll pull that amount of weight all day, no problem.

Last edited:

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '99 6.5 Turbo Diesel did not like pulling my LJ up any kind of hill..... which are EVERYWHERE in East Tennessee!
It only had 3.42 gears, though.
It made over 400 lb-ft of torque (turbo upgrade) but the gearing wasn't tow friendly.

I'd say your 4.10s will help the little 5.7 but I wouldn't go any talller in tire size .... which would kill your gearing advantage.

ChrisN

Reaction score
For brake upgrades, start with front brakes for a dually. The rotors are considerably thicker, so they handle heat better and won't warp as easily. You will have to change the calipers to match, but it's a bolt on affair.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember back in the early 2000s a fella use to pull his chevelle to the drag strip with a V6 GMT 400 but it was geared for towing....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the truck isn't hydroboosted, I'd just do that and call it a day for brakes. With exhaust and a tune, that truck should pull the Jeep in OD no problem. My 1500 pulled open deck with little effort before the blower.

Chris Perry

Reaction score
ive got a 98 c2500 with the 5.7 the 80e and 3.73s on 265/75r16s, spent most of its life hauling 25-30 foot travel trailers, never had a problem with power, stopping I cant really comment on cause the trailers had electronic brakes, id think youd be fine pulling a tj around

Vorhizzle

Reaction score
Well it wasn't the jeep but i ended up towing this home. Did great this f150 has a big block and prolly weighs 1000 lbs more than my jeep