1996 K1500 Restoration/Maaco Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry_H

Reaction score
Back in the mid Nineties, the owner of the Ford dealership in Huntington Beach that I was working at bought Corona Nissan, and I was sent over to sort out the used tradeins. I used several of the local shops for reconditioning the keepers. I started sending some of the cheaper cars to Maaco, and rarely had any complaints. Maybe it was because I was a repeat volume customer, but turnaround times were always acceptable, as was their work. Judging by your photos, it looks like they did a nice job on your truck!
Thank you. I did my research and read all of the Maaco reviews ahead of time. I’m glad I took the chance and used them. I couldn’t see spending 5K on a paint job for a $4,000 truck. For the same 5K I’m able to have a Maaco paint job, new wheels, new GM Goodwrench crate motor, and remanufactured transmission.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did they pull the window visors and all the trim off, or just tape it all off and paint around everything? I know years ago, like 30, they just taped everything off and sprayed what was visible. But then that was when it was a $299 paint job.

Larry_H

Reaction score
Did they pull the window visors and all the trim off, or just tape it all off and paint around everything? I know years ago, like 30, they just taped everything off and sprayed what was visible. But then that was when it was a $299 paint job.
They removed and reinstalled my window visors. They were going to remove my black diamond plate bedside caps too but I asked them not to. I think they taped some other things off but not sure. I don’t have any over spray anywhere. I opted not to get the door jams done. Since it wasn’t a color change and what I had wasn’t too bad just dulled out I didn’t see the need.

Larry_H

Reaction score
Forgot to add, I removed the badges/emblems myself prior to dropping it off. I also removed the cheesy factory pinstripe and the chrome wheel well trim/silver Chevrolet band on the gate. I bought new emblems on Amazon and installed them myself.

DaCoupe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Maaco that turned out looking great! Love the fact you kept it red suits the truck.

Larry_H

Reaction score
For Maaco that turned out looking great! Love the fact you kept it red suits the truck.
Thanks. I ordered black Z71 decals to replace the factory gray. When I had the business lettering done I tipped the installer $20 to stick them on for me since he does that for a living.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought this truck in March of 2018. It had 240K on it and was in good condition. I’ve been slowly bringing it back to life with new paint, carpet, bed caps, AR wheels, stereo, etc. Just thought I would share the progress.
Larry

You must be registered for see images attach

Took a closer zoomed-in look at your engine compartment ~ I like how you used RED split wire loom tubing on your over-the-radiator battery cable. Now I'm going to have to replace my boring black version. What diameter did you use?