1996 K1500 46K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Not disagreeing with you. But most people that paid for the Silverado package paid for the upgraded radio. But the fact is, that is the cassette variant of the base model radio.

My very first truck was a '99 C2500 extended cab long bed, 350 with the 4L80E, LS interior with bucket seats, overhead console, power everything, and the base cassette radio. It had literally every up class option for the LS trim level, besides the radio. This just proves that you could get nearly any combo you wanted. Good news is, the upgraded radio is a direct swap. Either the cassette version, or the CD version.

Love the truck :D
Thanks! But I still don’t understand because if you look at 1996 Brochure I posted it clearly shows the radio in the truck was the correct radio for a 96’ Silverado. “O” is optional for Cheyenne and “S” standard for Silverado.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks! But I still don’t understand because if you look at 1996 Brochure I posted it clearly shows the radio in the truck was the correct radio for a 96’ Silverado. “O” is optional for Cheyenne and “S” standard for Silverado.

Yup. Standard. But most people that paid for the Silverado package chose to upgrade to the better radio. Most '96 and up 400s I've ever come across have the "Automatic Tone Control" cassette radio. I've seen a few with the standard cassette radio, a few with no cassette, and only one that had the CD radio.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Standard. But most people that paid for the Silverado package chose to upgrade to the better radio. Most '96 and up 400s I've ever come across have the "Automatic Tone Control" cassette radio. I've seen a few with the standard cassette radio, a few with no cassette, and only one that had the CD radio.
Ok I see what you mean. Thanks. It still works good btw. Still got some cassettes from back then. Then again I remember when cassettes were the NEW thing!

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Ok I see what you mean. Thanks. It still works good btw. Still got some cassettes from back then. Then again I remember when cassettes were the NEW thing!

Hah! I still rock cassettes myself! :Big Laugh:

I think I still have a spare ATC radio, if you're ever in the market for a stock upgrade.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention back in 2000 I had a 98 GMC Sierra Xtra-Cab with the CD player. Nice truck it was, all leather too!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t get me started! He’s 17. Earlier in year said he wanted a K1500. Getting it was a story itself. As noted in this thread earlier I’ve gone through it and fixed what it needed. Couple days ago he says “I think I wanna sell it and buy a Mustang GT”. I looked at him and said “Then maybe I’ll keep it, you get a job and buy whatever you want”. It got pretty quiet!