1996 GMC K3500 Dually Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 6L90 finally showed up! Need to swap the output shaft and housing so I can use my transfer case. Haven't totally decided which route to take... I can either have this shaft re-splined to the regular 32 spline (this has a large 36 spline output) so I can use my BW case or I can just use a 4WD 6L90 output which is 29 spline and then use one of my 241 cases and swap in a dodge 29 spline input. A 29 spline input for a BW case doesn't exist to my knowledge. Either way the trans has to come apart so i'll address it then. I may wait till I get the engine done so I can pair this up for testing purposes with my PCS controller, there's going to be a lot of trial and error for that part.

You must be registered for see images attach

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I got the white cab stripped of everything I need except the rear window, have to cut that out yet. Pulling the carpet revealed even MORE reasons i'm glad I gave up on this cab.... rust rust and MORE rust. In the seams, in the B pillars everywhere... not worth the time at all. Had to cut the driver seats out... couldn't even get a socket on the bolts.

FYI, a cherry picker works excellent for cab removal. Use the rear seat bolts and the front cab mounts as anchor points.

Someone dropped a cigarette here and the carpet was burned lol.

Good riddance...

Last edited:

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then got the drive train out of the frame, MUCH easier with the cab off lol. Discovered the poor big block was locked up so I had to pull the converter out with the motor. Was able to get the bolts with a wrench at least. I tell you what though... the previous owners clearly didn't care about fixing anything, it's pretty obvious this thing was dumping oil for years, I have never seen a frame so completely coated in oil and dirt, even from all the 6.2 and 6.5 trucks i've had. When I had the engine on the ground it was leaning forward, and oil was literally dumping out of the timing cover... have never seen that one.

All in all, as bad as the rust was on this thing, i'm happy to see that the frame is actually very solid, no major pitting and no actual rot. I will be replacing the rear spring hangers though, they're just too pitted for my liking. The rest of the frame I can easily clean up. I was VERY happy to see the cab mount brackets were solid, I was worried the holes would be rotted out like i've seen several times but they are perfect.

Bribed my buddies with some beer and jalapeno stuffed burgers to help unload the red cab. We put that on some carts and wheeled it into the shop. Getting a little full now lol.

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So basically from here, I need to get the frame stripped down and ready for the sand blaster. I'll have to get the rear spring hangers ordered along with new leaf springs and front suspension components at minimum so I can get it back to rolling once it comes back from the powder coater.

I do also want to set my mockup block and the 6L90 in the chassis to check the trans mount location. Doing a quick measurement, the 6L90 mount location is only 1/2" further back at most which is excellent! I don't think i'll have to move anything at all.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, have an excellent local powder coater who does large industrial parts. He's done some work for me in the past.

I'm curious, if you're willing to divulge, how bad is that gonna hurt? I have a powdercoater local to me with a big enough oven, and they do reasonably priced work, but I shudder at the cost of coating a frame.

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious, if you're willing to divulge, how bad is that gonna hurt? I have a powdercoater local to me with a big enough oven, and they do reasonably priced work, but I shudder at the cost of coating a frame.
Not as bad as you would think. My uncle just had his 81 K10 frame done along with a few other random parts and I believe the total was around $700. Another place i've used in town but they're not as good was $400 for a frame.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not as bad as you would think. My uncle just had his 81 K10 frame done along with a few other random parts and I believe the total was around $700. Another place i've used in town but they're not as good was $400 for a frame.

I was figuring easily north of $1,000, that's not bad at all.