1996 GMC K3500 Dually Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I guess i'm not sure what you're asking? For the engine i'll be using the stock 03 harness and ECM turned into standalone, the 6L90 i'm running the stand alone PCS controller. In my eyes it's an easier and more versatile route.

I was alluding to using whatever setup the vans had being a viable option with you having the motor apart. The gassers went from 24x to 58x crank reluctors when they transitioned from PCMs to separate ECM/TCM, not sure about the Dmaxxes.

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was alluding to using whatever setup the vans had being a viable option with you having the motor apart. The gassers went from 24x to 58x crank reluctors when they transitioned from PCMs to separate ECM/TCM, not sure about the Dmaxxes.
Yeah if this whole LB7 donor rig didn't fall into my lap it would have been nice to find a LMM/LML duramax van donor to make it a little easier. I'm confident this should work pretty well.

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my reworked LB7 harness and my PCS 6L90 controller on friday! Going to be quite the adventure getting everything to work together but i'm confident. The funny thing is, getting it running and shifting is the easy part, the extras is going to be the fun part, especially because this is basically uncharted territory...

You must be registered for see images attach

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also received my billet 6L90 duramax converter.

The best part about GM is the ability to swap things with ease when stuff stays the same for decades. Here's a 6.5 diesel throttle pedal with the LB7 APP harness plugged right in. I will have to rearrange 3 wires but it will work exactly the same as the duramax pedal and look factory correct.

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
With that, i'm hoping to drag the truck home from the farm possibly this weekend so I can finally get rolling on it. Need to get the drivetrain pulled and start mocking things up.

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was going to get more of my garage done but I got antsy and brought the truck home anyway... Got going on stripping it down so i can get the motor out.

Also got the LB7 tore down so I can really see the damage. Scored the #7 cylinder pretty good. I think 0.020" over would clean it up but I decided to do a sleeve and replace just the one piston. The engine only has 140K or so and was immaculate otherwise. So sleeve, rering and roll.

Also, if any of you are familiar, GM/Isuzu decided to use pins everywhere instead of keys... well a common problem is sheared cam and balance pins. On mine, I discovered the oil pump gear pin was about ready to shear off... So i'm having the crank and cam keyed.

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 6L90 trans should be here next week hopefully (been waiting 3 weeks), then once I get the cab off i'm going to mock up everything. I have that spare LB7 block i'll use for mockup. I'll be sending the good one to the machine shop next week also.

I'll take some more pics but I also decided to look for a different cab... you can't see it these photos but this truck pretty rough to be honest, and I discovered the drivers floor pan is rotted out too, I missed that apparently... It was a filthy farm rig and it shows, even the front seat frames are rotted out, among other dumb things that left me a little discouraged. With that said, I found a rust free texas cab only 2 hours from that i'm going to pick up next week, it will save me SO much time rather than fixing what I have. Kind of unfortunate because there won't be much left of the original truck but this just makes sense.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the swap. I gave up on being sentimental about the frame/ cab a long time ago.
Better to do what’s practical.
Still looking at this for updates. My 1993/1998 k3500 might get this swap done to it.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was going to get more of my garage done but I got antsy and brought the truck home anyway... Got going on stripping it down so i can get the motor out.

Also got the LB7 tore down so I can really see the damage. Scored the #7 cylinder pretty good. I think 0.020" over would clean it up but I decided to do a sleeve and replace just the one piston. The engine only has 140K or so and was immaculate otherwise. So sleeve, rering and roll.

Also, if any of you are familiar, GM/Isuzu decided to use pins everywhere instead of keys... well a common problem is sheared cam and balance pins. On mine, I discovered the oil pump gear pin was about ready to shear off... So i'm having the crank and cam keyed.

Yeah the LMM in the square had the 2-piece crank mod a couple of years ago. Pinned the new one.

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the swap. I gave up on being sentimental about the frame/ cab a long time ago.
Better to do what’s practical.
Still looking at this for updates. My 1993/1998 k3500 might get this swap done to it.
Yeah luckily this wasn't one of those like "grandpa bought new", just some random truck I drug home, so i'll do whatever it takes to save time/money, and this cab would take forever to make right. It kinda sucks I bought all the patch panel stuff but oh well, plenty of people looking for that stuff.