1996 GMC 2500 lowering and paint (so many questions)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trevorf

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen my "new member introduction" recently and my truck....
I don't have the talent to do the work myself so I have a local place with a good reputation doing the work.
I've owned the truck for 10 years...it already had a 3" lift kit....my wife recently put a dent in my truck and it's motivated me to spend some money on it.
So the lift is coming out and a lowering kit going in...3-4....I'm thinking that might be too much but have been told I will be getting a better ride because of the new springs etc required to do it will make it better?? I don't know....I will need new tires as well because mine will be too big.

Here is an email from the shop outlining what they will be doing....it's Greek to me lol...
Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions

The job and links to parts to be used...

Here is the quote for removing the body lift and installing a lowering kit on your 98 Chev 2500 2 wheel drive (6 lug)

Removing the body lift is roughly 14 to 16 hrs. Its gonna be a bit of a nightmare because its been in there for a really long time (2006ish) so I'm sure the bolts won't come out easily, We will also have to remove the brackets that moved the front and rear bumpers, fuel line extensions, the rad shroud extensions, steering shaft extensions, and E-brake relocation brackets.

basically every thing in the instructions but in reverse
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/manuals/body-lift-kits/113.pdf

Then to complete the look of the kit we will install a 3-4 lowering kit from Beltech

https://www.belltech.com/belltech-front-and-rear-complete-kit-w-street-performance-shocks-700sp.html
$1695.00 for the kit
8hrs at $125 p/hr to install the kit
$149.00 for a wheel alignment.

The kit allows for stock tire size to fit, (I called my supplier to confirm) it will fill the wheel wells alot nicer.
so the stock tire size is 245/75r16
all of these tires have white letters
General Grabber ATX $329 each
Firestone Destination XT $337 each
Yokohama Geolandar AT g015 $344 each
Hankook Dynapro at2 $325 each

If I had to pick between these choices it would be the General Grabber ATX. Let me know what you want to do
You must be registered for see images attach

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a beautiful truck!! and sounds like a good plan. Personally the only change I would make would be tire size. I’d like to see a 255 or 275 wide tire but I don’t know what’s available with a 3/4 ton rating :shrug:

Trevorf

Reaction score
That’s a beautiful truck!! and sounds like a good plan. Personally the only change I would make would be tire size. I’d like to see a 255 or 275 wide tire but I don’t know what’s available with a 3/4 ton rating :shrug:
Thanks! That's wider right? :)

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems really high to remove a bodylift. Those prices? What currency? Cn? The parts prices are high, tire prices are high etc.

It's a hard to quote job, if you start breaking bolts and have to start removing interior etc the price could very quickly go up. No mention of the hardware and bushings you are going to need to put back in there either.

To be honest it seems like they gave you the "We don"t really want to eff with it price." Also, you didn't mention what type of shop your dealing with. Suspension falls under mechanical labor but removing the body lift would fall under Body shop labor rates which are typically less if you were dealing with a bodyshop to get that part done.