1996 and newer switch panel ideas.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is a 1997 k1500 and I have a few ideas to place a switch panel and was curious what everyone else did in terms of a panel for switches. I have 5 rocker switches in my overhead console and I have 5 or so more to install and ran out of room in the overhead console. I made a panel for the ashtray since I no longer smoke and it looks like I can fit 6 of the smaller rocker switches I picked up in that panel. Not too many options on these without drilling holes through the dash bezel or dash itself

Last edited:

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the simple ashtray switch panel I made out of some 1/16th abs panel I had. Yes I know I have a lot going on, i just replaced the dash and am in the process of running some new wiring to my accesories. Looks like a mess now but it should come together in the next few days.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made center console. Depending on how you do it gives you plenty of room for switches.
You must be registered for see images attach

That would be a great spot, I have the split bench with the fold up armrest and thought about using that space, just wasn't that practical in my truck.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
how about a switch panel in the cubby below the radio?
I have seen that done and it can look good. I use my cubby to hold my phone so I am looking for creative options as well. I am going to build a custom console under the dash in front of the seats to mount my cb radio and some real cupholders etc... I may just end up adding some switch mounts in there. Was hoping more people would chime in pics and how they like this location vs. Another etc....

IdreamofYenko

Runnin Lights and Sirens
Reaction score
I'm with you. Trying to find a good spot to mount some aftermarket switches. The ash tray is a cool idea. I've been thinking about the CD player cubby honestly. Hadn't thought about the overhead as my 96 doesn't have one. Anyone else wanna speak up? Possibly with pics.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with you. Trying to find a good spot to mount some aftermarket switches. The ash tray is a cool idea. I've been thinking about the CD player cubby honestly. Hadn't thought about the overhead as my 96 doesn't have one. Anyone else wanna speak up? Possibly with pics.
There's some switch pictures in the overhead console thread

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-overhead-console-thread.59/page-24

I've got an overhead console for sale if you don't have access to one locally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk