1996-1998 Clutch Pedal Bracket Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aznriceninja

Reaction score
Hello all,

Doing a NV4500 Swap with my 1998 extended cab long bed 6.5 Turbo Diesel. As I am going from a 4L80E I need to source a clutch pedal and bracket. My truck being a late gen OBS finding one is like hen's teeth. Ultimately if I can't find one I may end up fabricating one or modifying an older one to fit the square hole master cylinder. Does anybody know of anyone producing aftermarket ones or has modified an older one to fit their 1996-1998?

Thanks for any help you may have to offer. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, very new to the forum.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't necessarily be hen's teeth. Plenty of 1995-up GMT400's out there with manual transmissions.

IMO, the hard part is going to be successfully opening up the firewall hole the same way the factory did. The hole is stepped in the layers of sheetmetal, and the clutch master cylinder locks into place turning it into the bracket and resting against a ledge made by the two different size holes in the firewall sheetmetal.

Been there, done that, on converting a 1994 (which would normally use a bolt-in clutch master) to the newer setup. The end result wasn't pretty, but it worked. Lots of die grinder work / trial-and-error fitting.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

aznriceninja

Reaction score
Shouldn't necessarily be hen's teeth. Plenty of 1995-up GMT400's out there with manual transmissions.

IMO, the hard part is going to be successfully opening up the firewall hole the same way the factory did. The hole is stepped in the layers of sheetmetal, and the clutch master cylinder locks into place turning it into the bracket and resting against a ledge made by the two different size holes in the firewall sheetmetal.

Been there, done that, on converting a 1994 (which would normally use a bolt-in clutch master) to the newer setup. The end result wasn't pretty, but it worked. Lots of die grinder work / trial-and-error fitting.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Does the side that bolts up to the underside of the dash fit up with no mods?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been about 11 years since I did it so memory is a little vague, but the bracket on the inside of the firewall was a bolt-in situation IIRC, no battle there. The battle is in making the hole in the firewall work for the proper fit of the clutch master cylinder. If you make the hole straight without the ledge, the cylinder will be loose in the bracket. You'l probably find it nearly impossible to cut the hole the way the factory made them, as they layered two pieces of sheetmetal against each other with different sized holes already punched. My recommendation, though you may come up with a more creative way, is to consider making the hole large enough for the clutch master to go through and lock into the inside bracket, then make a round shim to take up the slack (like a large washer, but thin like 1 layer of the firewall sheetmetal) to go between the master and the inside bracket.

Richard