1995 Yukon SAS Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I bought this 95 4Dr Yukon about 10yrs ago for $300. Since then I've pretty much replaced the entire suspension, brakes, cooling system, AC, headers & exhaust, and other maintenance items.

Even on 33s with factory 3.73s, this 350TBI needs some help so I considered regearing. But I hate to invest in these stock axles so here I am at SAS. I have a KP D60 front from a 88 F350 and the sterling 10.25 rear from that same truck. Also have a ribbed 14 bolt FF. Intended for my Jeep YJ but it's ok. I already bought lockers and 5.38 gears for them since I was gonna run 42+ on the YJ. However, I only intend to run 35-38" tires on my Yukon and mainly keep it for work and to pull trailers/camper, nothing too heavy. 4.88s would be perfect by my calculations but anyone ever regretting going with deeper gears? I have 4 other vehicles so not a DD. But would like to make it my camping vehicle. Looking at the WFO stuff for the swap.

I've done a 2WD 87 Sierra short bed auto to 4WD manual on tons swap on the dirt. Now I have a shop with a lift and all the tools. I have young kids now though so time is hard to come by.

Is this swap worth it on this yukon? Or is the swap better suited for an 8.1L 2500 suburban/avalanche that I don't yet own? Thoughts on the gearing and tire size choice? Trades anyone?

Sorry, all my pics are of other stuff with my truck in the background.. 6" RC lift, 2" body, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompsons, Flowmaster Super 10.

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 0425211156.jpg
    0425211156.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 6

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d say go for it. I love the 4 doors. I just got rid of mine for CCSB there already been SAS’d. Steeper gears will help with towing and off-road capabilities.

AirMdwn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 38s and 4.88s for awhile and was happy with them. I didn't do much towing though. The hills kinda sucked because I was constantly shifting between 4th and OD. I think 4.88s for 35s and 5.13 for 38s. At the end of the day, it's not much different, but a little bit is better than nothing

Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I think I'll just plow ahead with the 5.38s and see how it goes. Most likely I'll end up with a set of 37s. I actually like the OBS Yukon, sometimes i wish it were a suburban, but it's always done everything I've asked, and moved us a few times. The skid steer was a little much and tongue heavy but i only towed it up the road to fuel up. It towed the 740iL BMW pretty well in D cruising about 55-60 for a little more than an hour. Now just need some time..

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read A LOT on SASing our rigs (mines planned to get tons/37s eventually). I've concluded that 5.13/5.38 even on 37s is the way to go if you've got a 350/4L60E. It puts your highway (think 65+) RPMs a tad high but it greatly helps moving all that weight around and keeping a "stock" feeling.

Reaction score
I've read A LOT on SASing our rigs (mines planned to get tons/37s eventually). I've concluded that 5.13/5.38 even on 37s is the way to go if you've got a 350/4L60E. It puts your highway (think 65+) RPMs a tad high but it greatly helps moving all that weight around and keeping a "stock" feeling.
Perfect, good to hear!! That was kind of my conclusion as well. I will keep the 350/4L60e for now until problems arise. Looks like 60-65 in OD is a good cruising speed, and 50mph in D for pulling a trailer. My truck seems to run well at 2000-2700 RPMS.

Which kit did you plan to use (if that was the plan)? I was looking at the WFO parts, shackle flip, sppring hanger, etc.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have DIY4X stuff. It’s top notch. Offroad design is very good also. I have both kits, as well as steering setups. Can’t go wrong with either. Oh n they both have shackle flips too…

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect, good to hear!! That was kind of my conclusion as well. I will keep the 350/4L60e for now until problems arise. Looks like 60-65 in OD is a good cruising speed, and 50mph in D for pulling a trailer. My truck seems to run well at 2000-2700 RPMS.

Which kit did you plan to use (if that was the plan)? I was looking at the WFO parts, shackle flip, sppring hanger, etc.

My plan is decently simple. ORD kit(s). 86-91 Ford Dana 60, GMT800 3/4 ton 14 Bolt (00 to 07 I think?), 2" lift springs in the front, shackle flip and 1" setback plates in the back. Keep my MP243, put a slip yoke eliminator on it. Probably set it up for Hydro assist to take some stress of the steering. 17x9s on 37x12.50 (could possibly look at 37x13.50s).

Here's a couple build threads for inspiration.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your gonna need more than 5" of lift to clear 37s. I had 4" of lift and rubbed hard with 315/70s. Granted on wider wheel, but even a narrow wheel it still gonna hit.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I've been planning on SAS'ing my K3500 for a long time now, I just haven't since I have a problem buying cars on Facebook Marketplace.

If I were to do that, I'd look into Offroad Design parts. They're an off road shop based out of Carbondale, CO (40 minutes from me) and they make EXCELLENT products. Most of their focus is on GMT400 and square body trucks. You can get pretty much everything you need for the swap there, including brake lines, custom machined knuckles, crossover steering kits, swap-specific pitman arms, etc. I use their 4" rear shackle flip on my K3500 and love it. Great people there.

Last edited: