1995 to 1997 4l80e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dabbs_diesel1

Reaction score
I just put a 1997 4l80e into my 1995 k1500 6.5 4x4 and I'm running into a problem with the wiring. I have a extra plug with a female end on it that doesn't plug into anything on the transmission even if i put the 1995 sensors on the 97 trans and there is also a eXtra 2 prong plug on the same wiring harness for my transfer case that doesn't plug into anything. I also noticed that the 97 doesn't have a sensor on the back of the transmission and my 1995 did.
What do I have to do to get by this problem ? Need the truck running asap for work.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no help for you. It's my understanding the '95 trans is a one year only thing..... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I thought they're physically similar but electrically not....
Can't remember where I read that.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have no help for you. It's my understanding the '95 trans is a one year only thing..... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I thought they're physically similar but electrically not....
Can't remember where I read that.

If I recall correctly that's only regarding the 4L60Es. There is another issue though, the '95 and '97 4L80Es have the cooler line attachments in different locations, so he will need different cooler lines.

Some general 4L80E info:

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

Dabbs_diesel1

Reaction score
I h
If I recall correctly that's only regarding the 4L60Es. There is another issue though, the '95 and '97 4L80Es have the cooler line attachments in different locations, so he will need different cooler lines.

Some general 4L80E info:

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

I had to change out the radiator and Trans cooler and cooler lines from the parts truck already. I'm just running into the input and output speed sensors right now. Everything else matched up nicely but wiring issue. I'm going to see maybe if I have the output and input sensors in the wrong holes.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ‘95 had three sensors. Trans input, trans output and transfer case output. The ‘00 (which should be the same as your ‘97) trans only had trans input and transfer case output. This to me implies that ‘96+ only has two speed sensors, whereas ‘95 had three. You should just be able to put the missing sensor into the ‘97 trans then plug your extra connector into it. Just make sure you didn’t mix up which one goes where.

Last edited:

Dabbs_diesel1

Reaction score
My ‘95 had three sensors. Trans input, trans output and transfer case output. The ‘00 (which should be the same as your ‘97) trans only had trans input and transfer case output. This to me implies that ‘96+ only has two speed sensors, whereas ‘95 had three. You should just be able to put the missing sensor into the ‘97 trans then plug your extra connector into it. Just make sure you didn’t mix up which one goes where.

OK I'll see that happens. I think I may have put the sensors in the wrong places.