1995 Silverado K1500 father/son build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, it’s a MOPAR. But it came out really nice once he put the new wheels and tires on it.

We also did his lift kit in my driveway. Let me tell you, those 14 year old 3500 bolts were no joke!

You must be registered for see images attach

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now people think that his truck is a lot newer than it actually is, because of the color match aspect. And it looks more like a 21yo’s truck, vice a grandpa truck.

But now all of his Army buddies want him to help them color match paint theirs as well.

I’ve definitely raised 2 gear head boys for sure. But they’re both a little more half a$$ed and not nearly as OCD as me, so when we’re working on a project together I have to keep them from wanting to cut corners.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes there's Red Hot and Cajun Red. Both good colors, the Cajun Red may be metallic. And with base coat/ clear coat paint, red doesn't fade as bad as it used to!
Anyway, I think I’m definitely going with the Red Hot. I like it better than the maroonish color of the Cajun Red. I want real, legit red. And I even plan to put my Z71 decals on after base coat paint, before clear coat. So that they’re embedded and flush. Hopefully it will keep them from fading, or else I’m in trouble if I ever need to replace them! Lol

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More parts. So I think I’m going to buy an aluminum radiator and electric fan set. There is no shortage of them on eBay. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it’s kind of evolved away from that and into a build for me. It’s still a father/son build but he’s already got a VW GTI that we put back together for him that he prefers.

Now I wish I had started with and built what I wanted instead. A standard cab 4x4 fleet side shirt bed converted to AWD with a turbo LS. Maybe I’ll finish this one and sell it to fund that project when I’m done! Lol

I’m not one to misrepresent vehicles with badges that don’t belong on them, but if I built that truck you can be for sure that I’d throw SS badges on it. Because that’s exactly what the SS trucks were! Minus the turbo of course.

I would just love to destroy the Mustangs and Challengers around my area in something like that. And the AWD 4L80 conversion is the best way to put that kind of power to the ground in a truck with 0 weight over the rear axle.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it’s kind of evolved away from that and into a build for me. It’s still a father/son build but he’s already got a VW GTI that we put back together for him that he prefers.

Now I wish I had started with and built what I wanted instead. A standard cab 4x4 fleet side shirt bed converted to AWD with a turbo LS. Maybe I’ll finish this one and sell it to fund that project when I’m done! Lol

I’m not one to misrepresent vehicles with badges that don’t belong on them, but if I built that truck you can be for sure that I’d throw SS badges on it. Because that’s exactly what the SS trucks were! Minus the turbo of course.

I would just love to destroy the Mustangs and Challengers around my area in something like that. And the AWD 4L80 conversion is the best way to put that kind of power to the ground in a truck with 0 weight over the rear axle.
I went through a similar situation last summer. Truck was bought for my son, then he wanted a Mustang. Long story short, the truck is mine now. He’s also moved on from the Mustang and driving a Tacoma 4x4. :crazy: But we’re both happy now!

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I need some advice or input/opinions on something.

So this project started as a father/son build, and my son still has some interest, and is working on things with me. But we found and built him the car that he wanted and he’s already daily driving it. The 2011 VW GTI. He says it’s more his, “cup of tea”.

Anyway, I’m DEEP in with this 1995 stepside standard cab. But everything that I’ve bought and done so far was keeping the thoughts that this was going to be my 16yo son’s first vehicle. So I was going to build it more with that in mind and going with the lifted 4x4/Z71 route in mind. Also, engine and power related things were thought of that way.

So I have a LOT of $$ into things like a lift kit, 33” tires, way too much into a slightly built 350 Vortec and things like that.

But that’s not really what I want, since this build has pretty much shifted into something for me, not him.

Yes, it would be cool. But by the time I’m done with it, it would 100% be one of those mall crawler 4x4’s and not something that I’m going to take off road or beat on.

And there’s another route that I would rather go, personally, for something that I would like and want to daily drive. That’s kind of why I’ve been dragging my feet so much on making much forward progression. Also, I hate working outside in the winter as well.

Anyway. So ever since a few years ago when I saw them build, “Project Red Tide”, on Power Nation, I’ve been dying to do a similar build.

At first, my thoughts were to finish this build, the route that I’m going, lifted Z71, rebuilt 350, that I literally already have. Sell it. Then use the $$ to fund building the other. But, if I’m being honest with myself, I’m not sure that I have the drive or motivation to finish this truck just to sell it, get another, and start over.

Yes, I’ll lose money to sell this brand new engine and parts that I’ve bought, as well as the brand new 4” lift kit from Rough Country that was never installed, and the awesome (and stupid expensive) 33’s. But, if I’m being honest, I have more $$ than sense at the moment. So that’s not really a concern for me. So give opinions that are NOT based on the fact that I’m already in VERY deep money wise.

So, for those of you who don’t know what Project Red Tide is/was. They took a 4x4 OBS to start. Lowered it (not slammed, that’s not my thing), put a decently well built LS, but also a 4l80e, AWD transfer case (like in the NBS Silverado SS trucks), and AWD front differential.

So basically made a high performance, AWD, street truck out of an OBS. An OBS Silverado SS, if you will.

Also, they guy from Power Nation who built it, Lawrence “LT” Tolman, has since left the show and is running and operating his own YouTube channel now. You guys should check him out. He does some AWESOME stuff with mostly GMT800, NBS Chevrolet trucks. But, he has a NBS stepside that he’s currently doing the same thing with. 4x4 to AWD conversation. Gearing it and using a factory style LSA supercharger on it’s factory 4.8 engine.

Anyway, if you guys have seen my other posts, I recently bought a 1st generation LS engine. Well, technically it’s a Gen 3 LS 5.3 LM7. But when I say 1st Gen, I mean 1st Gen on LS that came in the Chevrolet truck platform.

I’m dying to build that engine and put it into something. Some type of project. But I’m already so deep into this OBS project, that realistically I’m not going to want to finish it, just to sell it and turn around and jump right back into another one.

I personally have never been a huge fan of read wheel drive high HP builds for street performance trucks. Mostly because, in my opinion, they struggle to put the power to the ground being RWD with barely any weight in the rear. So they’re cool to look at, or for burnouts, if that’s your thing. But it’s not mine. Well, for me, this problem is solved with the TRUE AWD conversion.

I plan on it being a daily driver type of truck with all of the modern amenities. Like a stereo and A/C. I highly doubt that I will EVER take it to a track. So just to preemptively tell you, I don’t want to just build it up as a 4x4 knowing that I can have high HP in only a straight line on a drag strip, then shift back to 2WD.

I’m just thinking about building this 5.3 LS to around 400-450ish RWHP as a NA. But maybe buying my cam and setting my ring gap with future forced induction in mind.

Yes, I’m older, so no, I’m not going to be trying to, “race”, every Mustang and Challenger from red light to red light. BUT…. It would be awesome to embarrass them from time to time. In a daily drivable truck with enough modern amenities to enjoy driving routinely, if I chose to do so.

Anyway, I’ve already made this post so long that the average person will get bored before they read the whole thing.

But I would like some opinions on what I want to do. Again, pretend like price is not an issue, but time in finishing a more unwanted project, just to sell it and start another is. Thanks!