1995 Silverado K1500 father/son build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stepside trail boss would be cool. May have to fiddle with wheels for proper look though.
Oh, I already have the wheels and tires.
Definitely not Trail Boss wheels. But newer Silverado wheels that I had powder coated and bought black center caps to match. I think it’s kind of close.
You must be registered for see images attach

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make that kiddo do a lion's share of the prep work. My boys didn't take careful driving seriously until they wrecked their cars and had to do their own bodywork. My daughter saw what they had to do and said, "I don't want that." She's pretty careful.
That’s definitely the plan!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
And since I’m repainting it anyway, I’m going back with newer Silverado Red. Red Hot is what I think they call it.
Yes there's Red Hot and Cajun Red. Both good colors, the Cajun Red may be metallic. And with base coat/ clear coat paint, red doesn't fade as bad as it used to!

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes there's Red Hot and Cajun Red. Both good colors, the Cajun Red may be metallic. And with base coat/ clear coat paint, red doesn't fade as bad as it used to!
Yeah, I plan on doing it all myself in the backyard. I thought that maybe I would build a homemade paint both with 2x4 studs and either use tarps or clear plastic sheeting. The just tape up a couple of fans on one side and big cheap household A/C filters on the opposing side.

I already have the best paint gun Harbor Freight sells! Lol It’s a black widow HVLP and it actually sprays pretty decently.

The body work part will take a lot of time, but spraying is actually fairly easy from my experience.

And you can find paint codes everywhere online for just about any paint that you want. Then just go to your local Sherwin Williams and they can mix you up whatever you want. Or there are places online where you can get and do it cheaply as well.

But even if you have imperfections in between like paint and clear, they can be wet sanded out easily. And as long as you put enough thick coats of clear, you can cut and buff to get out almost any imperfections and even get rid of orange peel. It just depends on how patient and OCD you want to be.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I color matched and painted all of the chrome on my older son’s Ram 3500 this way in my backyard and it came out great.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some more. Including before and after.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We even disassembled and painted the black plastic door handles and the black side view mirrors. So with enough time and patience, you can do about anything in your own backyard.