1995 Silverado K1500 father/son build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto, I installed an S&J 383 about a year and a half ago and had Old EFI from this forum tune the chip for $300. Used TunerPro and sent the chip back and forth about 4 times to get it perfect. Tows fantastic now. Running perfect. Also installed dual exhaust with Magnaflows and a couple of resonators and JBA shorty headers. I can tow our 4500 lb TT about any speed I want but keep it below 65 for the sake of safety and tires.

Great to hear! Now I have options on who and where to get my tune done.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 new things.

1. I got the bed off last night to start rust removal and painting the frame.

2. The machine shop called me yesterday afternoon and told me that my cam is finally in, so I’m going to pick that up today! I’m not sure who’s more excited, me or my son!

You must be registered for see images attach

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm kind of thinking that now, while the whole drivetrain is out and the bed is off, is the time to install my lift kit. It seems to me like it'll literally never be easier than it will be now. Thought?

This whole forum seems to be a lot more dead than I remember it being. Or maybe it's just because of where more thread is. Probably more people on the 2WD sport trucks than the 4x4's. I'm not sure why people seem to gravitate more towards those. Don't get me wrong, I respect them for what they are, but to me, a truck is a truck and should be able to do truck things. If I wanted something sporty I'd get a sports car. Not a truck with absolutely no traction and way of effectively delivering the power to the pavement.

Literally, the only exception to that would be the thread on Power Nation/Truck Tech where LT took a 4x4 OBS and converted it to a true AWD Silverado SS. That's the coolest thing that I personally have ever seen. 1000% better than just a 2WD truck with a big engine and no good way to get the power to the ground.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably more people on the 2WD sport trucks than the 4x4's. I'm not sure why people seem to gravitate more towards those. Don't get me wrong, I respect them for what they are, but to me, a truck is a truck and should be able to do truck things.
I live in the far edge of the suburbs in a rural state. I never have any need to drive off-road, and I have no desire to deal with extra cost nor complexity of 4WD. I absolutely need a truck for hauling stuff. My 2WD is the truck I need. Some people would question why you'd even bother with a stepside if you want a truck. Personally, I like the stepside and can fit everything I need in the bed. I think your son is going to be proud of his truck, and that's what matters.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was in vans, t-shirt and shorts in the garage last night but i was only fixing a fuel leak at my TBI.

To each their own. I used to be more OCD with PPE since the military beat it into me. Now not so much.

1995 Z71 standard cab stepside
Swapping to 1996 Vortec OBD II

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the far edge of the suburbs in a rural state. I never have any need to drive off-road, and I have no desire to deal with extra cost nor complexity of 4WD. I absolutely need a truck for hauling stuff. My 2WD is the truck I need. Some people would question why you'd even bother with a stepside if you want a truck. Personally, I like the stepside and can fit everything I need in the bed. I think your son is going to be proud of his truck, and that's what matters.

Agreed. To each their own. My daily is a crew cab 2WD Silverado and 99% of the time it’s been fine for my needs. But I’ve been sent before on temporary duty to Connecticut in the winter where I REALLY wish I had had 4x4.

Also, I’ve gotten stuck before when one of my rear wheels got into the smallest most pathetic little puddle and really wished I had 4x4.

But again, this is a very specific year of truck and specifically a stepside because it’s a tribute truck where that’s what the original one was.

So I bought the only 1995 Silverado stepside available at the time in my area. And, for me, I’d rather my 16yo son drive a 4x4 as his first vehicle rather than thinking he’s speed racer and driving a more sporty truck more aggressively. But again, that’s just me. Not to mention that you see the 2WD’s fixed up a LOT more than the 4x4’s. So it’s definitely more unique from that standpoint.

Most of the OBS’s that I see are definitely being used as work trucks and really badly beat up. People just now seem to be accepting them as older classic or antique vehicles and starting to truly restore them and make them nice.

Our goal is for a more modern restomod theme. So like newer Chevy Silverado paint codes and badges. Not just factory restoration. Again, to each their own. I always see trucks and cars that I can respect for what they are, even if they’re not my cup of tea or how I would have done it.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up the engine today and my new head bolts also came in the mail. They weren’t part of the kit.

Does anyone speak camshaft specs to decipher this for me?

V