1995 GMC K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trevor Floyd

Reaction score
I grew up riding in my dad's 1992 Chevy K3500. I loved riding around in that thing to the construction site or up into the mountains. 3 weeks ago I bought my first truck. 1995 GMC K2500. I love it, but it runs like it's 25 years old.. go figure.
View media item 31960View media item 31962View media item 31961View media item 31959
Current issues include:
Rough Idle
Chirp from the serpentine belt
Struggles a little bit getting into reverse but never out of it
Broken rear passenger side shock mount (completely rusted through and broke off)
Some dings, scratches and dents
Sometimes the speakers work and sometimes they don't
A/C is always cold, but with varying airflow
Plenty of surface rust on the frame to remove and then recoat
Engine temperature sensor is busted and just hanging under the hood.

What I've done:
Replaced pin and bushings to fix driver sagging door
Spark plugs and wires (MSD)
EGR valve
PCV Valve
Fresh air breather elbow was cracked and replaced
Removed the passenger rear shock because the broken bracket and shock were just floating between the frame and muffler.
Serpentine belt
Idler Pulley
Tensioner Pulley

What works well:
Engine still has plenty of power and getup
starts up every time... unless I have less than 1/8 tank... then it takes a couple turns I think it's a fuel problem.
Drives smooth once I'm out of idle

I love this truck. I can't wait to get this thing running smooth and looking new again. I bought it 3 weeks ago and plan on this being about a 3 year project to get it where I want it.

Plans:
Running smooth again
I am planning on a couple engine modifications. I'm looking at the camshaft, new headers, and maybe intake manifold. I want to get up to about 380 or 390 horses and 430-450 lbs of torque, but keep all my power under 5500 rpm. Final color is currently unknown. Maybe black, but I really like the dark red and blue versions as well. I'll update the lights, grill, maybe an aluminum radiator. If I do lift the truck, it will only 1.5-2 inches. I just want this to be a good looking daily driver that can handle trips up into the mountains and tow when it needs to.

Trevor Floyd

Reaction score
My skyjacker blackmax shocks arrived yesterday!! I'm headed out of town for a week, but I'll throw some pictures up once I get them installed (next weekend). Hopefully I'll be able to replace the front shocks and the rear leaf springs this year as well. But these rear shocks should go a long way to smoothing out my ride. Especially because my rear passenger side currently doesn't have a shock... just the leaf spring. When I jump up and down on the rear bumper my truck looks like it is doing the wave.

Trevor Floyd

Reaction score
Okay... so I got the first shock installed but I still haven’t made it to the pic a part to find a new shock bracket for the upper rear passenger side. I think I need to invest in some pneumatic tools because getting these old rusted parts off with a little 6” 13mm wrench and a socket wrench is a pain.
First picture is what still needs to be done. Last one is the new shock on the rear driver side.

You must be registered for see images attach

Trevor Floyd

Reaction score
Okay... So a couple new problems... The idler pulley i installed a month ago already has wobble in it... So i need to replace that. One of my spark plugs looks like it has oil leaking around it. I don't know if it is on the threads and causing misfire. My guess is it is. Speaking of spark plugs. I bought some MSD iridium performance spark plugs, but the gap is different than what is manufacturer recommended; however, every site i checked said they were compatible with my truck. Should I have just gone with OEM spark plugs?

Also, the truck has started to sputter with light throttle application. It doesn't matter if it is at 55 mph and just trying to maintain speed or if I'm just lightly pulling out of the driveway. I think I need to replace the fuel injectors, but if I have to replace those I'm going to replace the fuel filter as well. I'm learning a lot, but with all the little things that keep popping up I just want to replace everything. Just start ripping stuff out and putting new stuff in and hope everything gets resolved. But that's kinda out of my budget right now... oh well. I guess with the oil in the spark plug I should replace the valve cover gaskets.

One more thing. I noticed some white smoke at cold start this morning coming out the tail pipe... It only lasted about 30 seconds and then was gone. I'm thinking valve stem seal. But I wasn't planning on opening up the engine this year... Oh well. Guess I'll add that to the list... Or would it be okay to just wait until next spring when I change out the cylinder heads?

Trevor Floyd

Reaction score
So.. when I bought my serpentine belt from OReilly's I assumed the belt they gave me was the correct size.. Turns out not the case. They don't even carry the correct belt size. So I ordered a new belt. Hopefully that gets rid of that bloody chirp. Well that and a new Idler pulley. The idler pulley I bought a month ago from OReilly's is already dead (wobble... bad bearing). So i have a new idler pulley coming. Okay... enough about OReilly's. It's probably partly my fault for not doing all my research beforehand. I am putting in a spectre air filter. New oil filter and new fuel filter this weekend. Mostly a bunch of small stuff, but I'm excited to do some more work.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay... so I got the first shock installed but I still haven’t made it to the pic a part to find a new shock bracket for the upper rear passenger side. I think I need to invest in some pneumatic tools because getting these old rusted parts off with a little 6” 13mm wrench and a socket wrench is a pain.
First picture is what still needs to be done. Last one is the new shock on the rear driver side.

The rear mounts are availible new if you can not find a good used one. The dorman part number is 924-404 for the rear upper right and 924-403 on the left side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Trevor Floyd

Reaction score
The rear mounts are availible new if you can not find a good used one. The dorman part number is 924-404 for the rear upper right and 924-403 on the left side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks Magimerlin for the dorman part number. I think i may end up ordering the part number to save on the number of rivets i have to drill out this week.

Trevor Floyd

Reaction score
alright folks. The bloody chirp is gone!! I just needed a smaller belt size. Future reference: 5.7L with a/c, no air pump, 105 alternator = 95.5 inch serpentine belt. Now... to just get rid of that rough idle... well and a few other things. When the truck is in gear and idling, the muffler rattles against the frame (not heat shield). I think I need to replace my motor mounts. Anyways, the project continues. In fact, it never ends. I'll post some pictures and updates this weekend.