1995 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedden9969

Reaction score
I have a 1995 c1500 2wd. The transmission was rebuilt about 2 months ago. Unfortunately I bought it after the transmission was rebuilt so they won't honor the warranty. I know 1995 is a stand alone year for the 4l60e. My question is, if I took the transmission out of 1994 and used the ecu from the 1994 would this work or would I just be wasting my time and money?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ECU- engine calibration unit = programmable read only memory ( the replaceable chip, can also be programmed for mods)
Rather than flipping a coin, check the service manuals if there are differences that would prevent from just plugging it in. The TBI unit is unique to '95, but the 4L60E was installed starting in '93.
Good luck.

Kawabuggy

Reaction score
It is possible to do what you want WITHOUT touching the PCM/Computer... It will require installing a 1995 internal wiring harness into the 1994 trans, and running BOTH a 3-2 control solenoid that is 10-15 ohms, and also a TCC PWM solenoid that is also 10-15 ohms that is really just a dummy solenoid. It has to be there to trick the computer, but it won't actually be doing anything. What you are over looking... is that your 1995 uses an external neutral safety switch/MLPS, and your 1994 case most likely does not have threaded bosses to receive the MLPS.... So.... working around the computer is one thing... drilling and tapping the bosses (if they are there on your 1994 case?) is going to be another issue.

Putting all that aside.... WTF happened that you destroyed a "rebuilt" unit in two short months? What is wrong with the trans? There are several things that can KILL a rebuilt 4L60E quickly.. Probably the first one every one wants to point at is "builder error, or internal parts failure". The reality is that while that is possible... It's low on the list of probability. WHO installed the trans? If the trans was bought as a carry out unit, and installed by someone other than the shop that built it-95% of the time it is an installer issue/mistake. You might not want to hear that... But that is reality. If the shop that built it also installed it... Then there are several other things that could be happening that caused it to fail so soon. Tell us WHAT is wrong with the trans right now and let's try to work backwards to figure out what has happened so that you don't keep killing transmissions. Here's a hint-problems with MAF, TPS, Engine misfire, MAP sensor, brake pedal circuit or switch, faulty radiator that is compromised inside, and MANY other things DESTROY 4L60E transmissions. GOOD SHOPS know this and when a new job comes into their shop they will spend considerable time diagnosing what happened to kill the transmission. A good shop WILL NOT just put a new/rebuilt unit in and let it go without first determining what killed the old unit... LOTS of ****** trans shops out there that fail to diagnose what killed the old trans and they set themselves, and their customers, up for failure. People that take a trans to a shop and have the shop do a bench build, and then they install it themselves... are just setting themselves up for failure.. why? because they skip the MOST IMPORTANT step.. Diagnosing why the trans failed in the first place. If you can't figure out why the trans failed from the beginning-then you have NO BUSINESS putting another transmission in as you are bound to repeat the destroyed transmission situation again-but this time you will blame whoever built it, when in reality it is YOUR FAULT for not figuring out, and fixing, why the 1st trans failed. Towing, over-sized tires, off-road use, plugged trans coolers or kinked or leaking cooler lines... literally this list could go on for PAGES... But.. people always want to blame the trans builder.. Tell us what problems you are having with the current 1995 trans that is in the vehicle.

PWC Repair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 with Kawabuggy on this. I am NOT a trans guy but have successfully rebuilt several 700r4 and 4l60e by simply following the ATSG manuals........meaning a guy that does it for aa living can surely get it right. BUT...I rebuilt my nephews Infiniti QX4 trans to help him out, had no want AT ALL to mess with pulling and reinstalling. His other uncle paid a legit shop to do that work. After everything was back together they didn't even make it out of the parking lot and something wasn't working right. I went out the next day and spent maybe a half hour going over stuff, checking fluid level, wiring connection under rear seat to TCU etc, then I noticed the new fluid still sitting in the cargo area.........asked the shop guy about it.......they RE-USED the old fluid cause it still looked ok to them...WTF!! I ended up pulling it home where I dropped the pan and valve body to clean out all the grit and crap and get all the valves and solenoids clean. GUESS WHAT....it worked just fine after that. SOooo......I guess maybe not ALL professionals are actually professional.

Kawabuggy

Reaction score
I'd guess the shop that put the used fluid in did it ON PURPOSE in the hopes it would destroy the trans and they would get a rebuild job out of it. You should post that in a public review of that business so other people know what type of people they are dealing with. Who would put used fluid in a rebuilt trans when you have new fluid right there? A criminal.. that's who..

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity." - Robert Heinlein

We know what they did was stupid. Accusing them of evil is an assumption without evidence. The fluid probably "looked good" and they were being cheap. I've reused fluids successfully, but if I were running a shop I wouldn't do it on a customer's car.